Talk to me about laptop computers

Quote:
Like Cara mentioned you would need a wireless router for home but you
can also plug into your modem at home with a wire assuming you are not
on dial up.

The cellular companies have wireless internet cards that are sorta like a
cellphone you plug into your laptop. I have the AT&T version and love it
for when I'm not home however it costs me $80 per month.

With a price like that I will probably just do the free router services offered in some places (I thought I would need some kind of deal to hookup with those too). I wouldn't be using it enough to pay that kind of price tag.

I can plug it in at home to the DSL and I have done so but, it would be nice to have the router. I saw one that connected you to not only the internet but, to your printer and other computer. That would be nice. Then I wouldn't have to change the printer's cables from one computer to the other.

The networked printers work great. My setup at home is similiar.

Call the dsl company and ask for an updated modem/router. They
should give it to you for free. All the new dsl and cable modems have
routers built in. You can then turn on printer sharing on your Dell
so you can print from any computer or you can buy one of these:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=573701&CatId=206
and just add your printer to your existing network.

Depending where you live there are several Wifi hotspots. We have
a lot of them but I need to have access all the time, not 15%. Wifi
hotspots are also not very secure. Someone sitting next to you can
intercept and monitor everything you do. There are a lot of angry
geeks with no lives out there that would love to spy on you.

Trust me, when I get my HUGE cellphone bill every month I question
the cost of it too. There are many cellphones out there that you can
add a $30 data plan to and tether to the laptop. It gets a little
complicated but it works.

Enjoy your new toy.

P.S. Don't let all these Mac people bug ya. I was a Macaddict too for
a long time and we/they are very dedicated to Apple. It's sort of a mac
cult. I'd love a Macbook but the cost outweighs the benefits for me.

I know about you Mac addicts. The windows does just fine for what I want so that's where I'm staying.

My cell phone is a tracfone so, there's no tethering to it, but that's okay.

I'm going to call my service provider today and see what they have. I know there is a different one than I have but, at the time I only had one computer and didn't plan on another.

Quote:
They have them alright. $14.95 to ship it and $2.95 a month rental. I'll buy my own.
roll.png

OK--I wouldn't say I'm a MAc Addict, but I do have one. I got a Macbook but still use my home pc. I will admit, though, that I use it less and less. By the time it takes my pc to com on and warm up I can already have the Mac on, read all my mail, and be happily reading through BYC.
And I don't know if anyone mentioned this or not, but there hasn't been a virus ever written for a MAC. I was told that from several of the Apple guys when I was shopping. Not to mention, friends with Macs. So you'll never need anti virus software. And when I went to buy a new laptop, I had no intention of buying a mac, but they won't sell you a new pc these days without VISTA and I wanted no part of vista. Too many bugs in it.
Besides, knowing what a new compound bow costs and all the other stuff your DH has gotten....You deserve a MAC. lol

Quote:
I don't want a Mac and have gotten a Compaq which, comes on rather quickly. Oh, and I said a different compound bow-it's used-still enough-although the rest was new.

Back
Top Bottom