Talk to me about NPIP certification!

Dona Worry

Crowing
Jul 5, 2018
Vermont
If I do end up hatching my own chicks, I will surely end up with far more roosters, and probably hens, than what I will need for my own purposes. The logical solution is to sell them, BUT I know that after a few incidents, a lot of people in my state have a strict policy of only buying from NPIP flocks. . . So, how does one go about becoming NPIP certified? Can you even do it if you plan to breed crazy color mixed breeds, or is it just for pure breeds?

All I know is that anyone can be NPIP. You don't have to have pure breeds or even sell.
I believe it's the law you have to be NPIP in order to ship live birds across state boundaries. And you can only buy from NPIP (hatcheries and NPIP breeders) once you become NPIP.
Thanks! So I assume you have a state vet draw blood or whatever from each bird and run a panel?

If I do end up hatching my own chicks, I will surely end up with far more roosters, and probably hens, than what I will need for my own purposes. The logical solution is to sell them, BUT I know that after a few incidents, a lot of people in my state have a strict policy of only buying from NPIP flocks. . . So, how does one go about becoming NPIP certified? Can you even do it if you plan to breed crazy color mixed breeds, or is it just for pure breeds?
@cholland is correct.

Every state has its own rules and its own NPIP program. Some states make it very easy to get NPIP certification and some make it more difficult. If you have a small amount of poultry, all will need to be tested. Many states have programs which allow an individual to become a certified tester.

NPIP is about health and prevention of spreading disease. Whether you are raising pure breeds or mutts does not matter.

Biosecurity is a prime principle of NPIP.

Contact your state veterinarian for information on your state's NPIP program.

Good luck.

Google search for NPIP in your state. It is generally managed under some part of the state Ag deptment or extension service. If your state has an active program there should be information available online.
I'm trying but I keep ending up on a page with a lot of similar sounding links, and no information! It's all very confusing.
I think I need to find a certified breeder in my state, and beg for help.

@cholland is correct.

Every state has its own rules and its own NPIP program. Some states make it very easy to get NPIP certification and some make it more difficult. If you have a small amount of poultry, all will need to be tested. Many states have programs which allow an individual to become a certified tester.

NPIP is about health and prevention of spreading disease. Whether you are raising pure breeds or mutts does not matter.

Biosecurity is a prime principle of NPIP.

Contact your state veterinarian for information on your state's NPIP program.

Good luck.
Biosecurity might be a problem I need to tighten up before the spring. A TON of wild birds around, and I work of a place with chickens and go back and forth a lot. . .

Back
Top Bottom