Tamest breed of quail

GuineaFowling

Songster
Oct 3, 2013
California
I'm looking to get some quail soon. I would like a breed that lays well and is easily tamable. I heard Coturnix is easy to tame. Are Texas A&M more tame. I have already placed an order to get some bobwhites who I know not to be very tame. Has anyone who had Bobwhites ever successfully tamed them. Not entirely tame the way chickens are but tame enough to not run from me and allow me to hold them. I have done research and owned coturnix before and I plan on getting some. I currently have button quail.

I'm looking to get some quail soon. I would like a breed that lays well and is easily tamable. I heard Coturnix is easy to tame. Are Texas A&M more tame. I have already placed an order to get some bobwhites who I know not to be very tame. Has anyone who had Bobwhites ever successfully tamed them. Not entirely tame the way chickens are but tame enough to not run from me and allow me to hold them. I have done research and owned coturnix before and I plan on getting some. I currently have button quail.
Texas A&M are just a variety of coturnix. Any coturnix can be easily tamed. If you want one or more for pets get them from someone who has breeders that are friendly. If you start with chicks and handle them daily you will have very friendly adults and lots of eggs from the hens. I have jumbo browns with a few whites (A&Ms) that pop up since it's a recessive gene, but they are all pretty friendly. The guy I got them from bred for temperament as well as size. With as flighty as some of my chickens are these coturnix are pleasant to have around.

Hi GF i have coturnix and bobs, my coturnix are quite tame but some are more friendly than others. my bobs on the other hand, i have 3 1 male and 2 females, one of the females is very tame and will sit on my hand and allow me to stroke her but the other 2 run as soon as i go near them they were all the same age when i got them (about a year) so i dont know if there is any reason in her upbringing as to why she is so friendly :).

Hi GF i have coturnix and bobs, my coturnix are quite tame but some are more friendly than others. my bobs on the other hand, i have 3 1 male and 2 females, one of the females is very tame and will sit on my hand and allow me to stroke her but the other 2 run as soon as i go near them they were all the same age when i got them (about a year) so i dont know if there is any reason in her upbringing as to why she is so friendly :).
Do you keep the two different breeds together or separate? I plan on raising the coturnix and Bobwhites together as chicks and then separating them as they get older because I hear Bobs are very aggressive. Is it possible to keep a few female bobs in with the coturnix or would the female fight as well? Have you ever experimented with keeping them together?

I didn't plan on keeping the two breeds in the same pen after two weeks of age. I heard it was fine raising the chicks together so I figured instead of two brooders one would be fine. I just wanted to know if the female bobs could be kept with female coturnix when they are adults. I need them for eggs not breeding. I don't plan on keeping males. But I do appreciate you took the time two post that link. It was very informative, though I already knew the male Bobs are very aggressive and tend to harm the coturnix.

I didn't plan on keeping the two breeds in the same pen after two weeks of age. I heard it was fine raising the chicks together so I figured instead of two brooders one would be fine. I just wanted to know if the female bobs could be kept with female coturnix when they are adults. I need them for eggs not breeding. I don't plan on keeping males. But I do appreciate you took the time two post that link. It was very informative, though I already knew the male Bobs are very aggressive and tend to harm the coturnix.
If your goal is eggs you would be better off keeping just the cots since the bob hens don't produce nearly as well so you would have to feed them all year for not as many eggs.

Yeah, but I would like some white eggs. Some of my family does not like to eat the beautifully speckled and spotted eggs of the coturnix so I figured I need a white egg layer or at the least a cream.

Back
Top Bottom