Taming a Rooster?

Pics
I feel I ought to point this out; you don't get a 'point across' to a dead chicken.
I can say fairly confidently that the chicken has absolutely no idea why you killed it and has learn't absolutely nothing from the experience.
It really doesn't matter. Keeping a dangerous rooster around just isn't worth it. As I have said before, you can buy an awful lot of chicken feed for the cost of just one trip to the ER.

Ultimately, I agree with most here. Those with children are, by default, required to be more selective in who they keep around. Youngsters are small, more vulnerable. It's necessary to be watchful/careful. Around here (as someone with 3 and 5-year-old brothers), we cull after a single flogging. Zero tolerance. Safety is of far greater importance than any rooster will ever be. Just keep in mind, there are wonderful roos out there to be obtained, who wouldn't think of harming a living soul....no matter how minuscule. Life's too short to mess around with an aggressive male.

Quick sidenote - I'm actually not against retraining. Biting (yes, I fully comprehend the difference between aggressive and curious pecks), wing dancing, and overall disrespect seem to be correctable. As a matter of fact, I've been testing out a newfound, non-violent method recently. We'll see how it goes. :)

~Alex

when I had 18 chickens at once, 5 were roosters and 2 of them were kinda aggressive. One of them kicked me on the leg, didn’t hurt but I snatched him up and yelled at him. ( he was a teenage roo though) what I said to him is “ you do not kick your mama! I raised you and feed you! Your not gonna disrespect me like that and you do not do that! That’s bad, do not hurt your mama and don’t try to hurt me again, cuz next time I won’t be so nice.” While I did that I had him in one arm while I was pointing at him and I moved my hand as I pointed and as if I was getting on to my little brothers. He got yelled at in front of most of the ladies to so it must of been embarrassing for him. But when I put him down and he clucked with her rooster lower then hen voice, and he was a slightly bigger rooster to he was a buff Orpington roo. But he never attacked me again after that.

I know you don't want to hear this but when a rooster does that usually there is something wrong with that hen "at least to him" and he dosen't want her near the flock.
It could be physical or mental, hard to tell with chickens.
It probably won't improve either, just something about her makes him want her gone.
My rooster Hans is beautiful 2' tail feathers; he's not mean to me. There is one hen(buffy) that he would really like to kill. He has hurt her in the past and I put her in her own pen and doctored her for a month. Now that the weather is getting a bit better, I let him and the rest of the girls out except the one he hates. He hops along the fence trying to get to her. I really dont want to get rid of either one, but I cant have him killing her. Maybe he hates her color?

unless your in canada.
free health care
Even then free health care does not cover the pain and inconvenience of an infection or eye injury caused by a rooster spur. These can be serious. In my opinion, an aggressive critter just isn't worth it. But that's me. I'm old and cranky and my tolerance for brats of whatever species is limited. In the case of a rooster, I consider the crockpot to be my friend.

View attachment 1693221 Is that even possible? I have a black sex link rooster that I have a love hate relationship with. He’s so beautiful but he is such a jerk. Hes just so mean. This is the only real good pic I have of him and my husband took it.
Ive handled chickens most of my life.i learned from my grandpa when i was 12. In all that time there were only 2 roosters that couldnt be tamed. 1 was a leghorn & his problem was he was the only rooster w/200 hens. He got cocky from that. What can i say i was 12 & didnt want him butchered. He went to my uncles who had a chicken killing dog. The rooster was the only chicken that lived. The 2nd was a fighting cock mix who was dumped on me & actually did fine when i had a banty cochin rooster who was in charge. When the banty died he attacked every thing from hens to people to a big hen turkey who kicked the crap outta him. We ate him
I did stuff old school like my grandpa. He never had provlems with roosters. You didnt say how many hens roosters you have. My grandpa always had r
2 roos & AT LEAST 20 hens. He used to sit in a chair every evening & toss corn to them. This showed the hens he was the head roo. If the roo started acting cocky & pushy he calmly took his foot & pushed him away. This is where the 2nd roo comes in.
If you can find a roo about your roo size that is calm & friendly get him. There will be a fight. Let them for a few min. If the friendky roo is ahead let them go a few more. If not take the friendly set him on your lap & give him treats. This will show the mean roo he is not in charge the nice one is higher up. Make sure meanie doesnt attack nice 1. If nice starts the rooster growl let him & lower him a little & point him toward meanie. If meanie comes after him take your foot & push him bacl while moving the other one fotward. Meanie will associate new one as the 1 in charge & with you holding him hell see you that way. Keep both rpos seperated from hens. Allow nice 1 to be in w/hens 1st day hes there. Cagec
Roos at night. 2nd day meanie gets a turn. By the end of the week then nice 1 should be in charge & meanie 2nd & tamer. Turn them all loose together. Theyll be some fighting yet but it shouldnt be Like the 1st time. If you have tp seperate & repeat again. Still keep sitting with them at nigjt even if you dont hold anyone.. This always worked for my grandpa & i always did it that way too. And im 60 so its been working a long time. The hens will pick the roo they want. Then youll have fun the hens stand by their roo if hes a good one. I know this sounds strange but try it

Back
Top Bottom