Taming a Rooster?

Pics
We used an old automatic umbrella and when the Roo came over we let it fly open and he finally thought we were "too big" to tackle. I still would never truly trust any bird who is protecting his flock girls.

I tried all that with a BO rooster I had. Carried him around, kicked him off hens, you name it. Even took a 2 x 2 to him when he flogged me leaving the coop one night. Thought I killed him. Nope. Each time I "disciplined" him, he'd be good for two weeks, then start up with his attitude again. He got invited to Sunday dinner as the honored guest.
This same thing happens with my husband he will be good and then it’s like a bam I gotta prove my position

You are doing just fine, and this is your and your husbands decision. People who know how tough an attack can be, are afraid for your child. And that make us want to take it seriously.

Mrs K
Thank you, I appreciate everyone worrying about my child. I absolutely take it seriously and that’s why I wanted input from all of you. I am fairly new to chickens this is only my second year having them. So I wanted options before anything was done . I just wasn’t a fan of the one response making it seem like I couldn’t handle it and had to have my husband do the dirty work.

I got tired of it and finally got my poimt across when he came to dinner. Incidently his name was Crockpot.
I feel I ought to point this out; you don't get a 'point across' to a dead chicken.
I can say fairly confidently that the chicken has absolutely no idea why you killed it and has learn't absolutely nothing from the experience.

I love roosters but after dealing with a multitude of rooster personalities over the past 4 years I've reached the point that if they aren't going to stop the aggression, they never will.

I have about 25 small (1pounders) bantams and bantam roosters and 4 pound bantam cross roosters. From hatching, I work with them concerning aggression towards me or any human for that matter. If they continue to press their luck, they are out of here at the speed of light to grace somebody's dinner table or as food for our dogs.

Nor do I tolerate roosters that are overly aggressive to other roosters.

Don't get me wrong I am knowledgeable in rooster behavior and know that roosters' favorite hobby is beating up one another. (along with sneak attack mating with hens running a tight second) My bantams and bantam crosses are experts at it. But I won't tolerate a rooster who won't back up and walk away from a fight he has won. This happened after a rooster fighting with a flock master that lead to the flock master having to be put down due to his injuries.

I butchered the offending rooster last night. He will be served to our dogs as dinner in a day or two.

My point is, know when to toss in the towel with a mean rooster and cull him before you, a loved one or a valued bird gets hurt, and yes, they can inflict some really nasty wounds.

If you have tried everything that you can think of or read about to break him and Mr. Roo Roo is still flying at your ankles, head or hands, it doesn't matter if he's beautiful, good with the girls or can bake bread for you. If you can't trust him around other birds or especially around humans (especially little humans), it's time for Mr Roo Roo to hit the road one way or another.

All you have to do is read the classified ad here on BYC to discover that there are a multitude of good sweet roosters out there looking for a good home. You don't want to keep a jerk around for your sake or for the sake of your flock.

No insult intended to anybody but too many people have forgotten that chickens are modern day dinosaurs. Domesticated, evolved velociraptors, their primary instincts being, where's the food, where's the danger and for the roosters, where're the ladies? If you remember that fact you will better understand their behavior, or as I said out loud after watching one of my young bantam roosters do something totally stupid like pick a fight with a rooster twice his size...

.....Thank GOD that asteroid wiped the majority of your ancestors off the face of the earth. He knew what He was doing!

I feel I ought to point this out; you don't get a 'point across' to a dead chicken.
I can say fairly confidently that the chicken has absolutely no idea why you killed it and has learn't absolutely nothing from the experience.

No but your stress level and the stress level of your flock will decrease dramatically.

Back
Top Bottom