Taming baby chicks

ckalisz

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 18, 2014
I was wondering at what age if ever baby chicks become more receptive to you? Right now I have 12 chicks about 2 weeks old and it seems any time I put my hand in the brooder they freak out. 8 of them we hatched and the other 4 we bought. Since the begining we were putting our hand in with food and they would slowly come around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The more they're handled the calmer they get, I had some chicks that would freak out and try everything to get away, but I'd grab them up one by one everyday a few times a day and hold them while talking gently. A few times I found myself chasing them around because they flapped and got away...lol...and you have to remember, you're huge and they're small, everything is trying to eat them in their eyes...
wink.png

I was having the same problem with my BA chicks. So like you said I pick each one of them up and talk to them, etc., and just the other day I've begun noticing that they're not as skittish as they used to be. They still get a little freaked out when they see the "big hand" coming in, but I'm going to be persistent and get them calmed down...

Most of mine run but once you have them they sit and cuddle. Two come running and one jumps onto my arm and is away checking my hands for treats.

There was only one chick who was mega friendly with me. He would run up and jump onto my hand for attention and he liked coming out and sitting on my shoulder like a parrot lol. I've found now that they're older and outside that spending some time in the coop helps a lot. I've got some who point blank don't like getting picked up but the others all swarm about me (food lady obviously) and don't mind me at all. I usually go out and have a wee cup of tea with them in the morning lol :p

Its natural for them to freak out when a large hand is coming in their brooder. For all they know, its a hawk. I always seem to have chicks and they always run from being picked up. Once I have them, they become true snuggle buddies. Hold them close and cup your hand beneath and in top of chick. It will think its mama hen keeping it safe. Also, rub their little heads and underneath chin. They love it!!!

Thank you all for the advice. I just built a safe area outside that if the weather ever warms up I can put them in for a little bit each day. Hopefully that will help with building a bond with them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom