Taming chicks?

snaffle1

Hatching
11 Years
May 4, 2008
NC
I am a first time chick owner/raiser. Any help or corrections to my posts are greatly appreciated!!! I have been on a farm my whole life, we've bought adult chickens that have been around, we've raised horses, cows, sheep, dogs, and barn cats....but this is my first experience with baby chickens!

I bought some silkie eggs online. The nice lady sent me some extras, which included two Turken eggs. I let a friend incubate and hatch them for me. The first two weeks they did not get much human interaction b/c my friend has a dog who would love to eat peeps, so they were behind a closed door for their own protection much of the time. When they were two weeks old, I went and picked them up.

They are now 3.5 weeks old. I have them inside the house in a puppy pen that is about 4 feet x 5 feet. I have a light hanging over one corner with a thermometer...it stays about 82 under there and they play and hang out in the whole pen but always sleep under the light. I keep plenty of fresh chick starter and water in there, as well as a little box they can get into or behind (in case the light proved to be too warm was my original thinking but I can now see that they are never too warm LOL). There are four Silkies and two Turkens.

So there's the background. My questions are: first, anything blatantly wrong with my set up (they seem to be thriving but just in case...) and second, how and when do I go about getting them tame? They are scared to death of me. I put them in my office, where I spend all of my time, and as long as I'm sitting still, they carry on and I just watch them while I work. But if I move or speak to them, they run around like a demon is chasing them, trompling each other and peeping at the tops of their voices. I try to occasionally catch one and pet it and hold it close to me, which is fine once it is caught, but they are obviously relieved when I set them down and run off before I decide to change my mind and eat them there on the spot! They just seem so fragile....with a puppy or a foal, I would just handle it until it got used to me, but I wonder if I could literally scare a peep to death!!

Any help is greatly appreciated. I am wondering if I missed a big opportunity those first few weeks??

Jaime

well i have 12 chicks and they are all alsoe 3 and a half weeks old. half of them will run up to me and jump on my lap and lick to be around me but the other half are a little scared of me. but usualy they will let me pick them up
tongue.png
:>{-( peeep

Like a lot of the others here are doing... I would put your hand in and lay it at the bottom of the cage with feed in it and let them come to you. Eventually they will see you as "mommy chicken the one who feeds them" I would do it several times a day. Good luck!

The younger the better...dont wait any longer to love em up. Just grab em and snuggle them. Hold one or two at a time for at least 10 minutes while you sit on the couch and watch tv. That's what I did. You have to hold them as much as possible. Dont be scared to pick them up even if you think they dont like it. You need to make sure they can see you alot so they can bond with you. Mine are always flying up to get out of the cage and jump on a hand or fly up and sit on a shoulder. They are totally spoiled and get mad if you dont hold them. I have a silkie chick that is scared that I am working with...just be patient.

Thank you to all for your encouragement and welcome. I am not shy to hold them, I just needed reassurance that I wasn't going to literally scare them to death. I did sit here with my blue silkie after I posted this AM and talked to my mom on the phone and s/he seemed much better when I put him back.

I'll keep working on it!! Thanks again to everyone who posted here as well as the many other threads I've learned stuff on this morning
wink.png

Jaime

Back
Top Bottom