Taming Ducklings

They are doing well. I talked to an expert on imprinting and indoor ducks and he told me to spit them up and then reintroduce them when they are older. The one is being raised by my neighbor and the other is in my care. They both have made some improvements and aren't as afraid. The one I'm watching is still a really picky eater. He isn't crazy about his duck starter. He only likes mealworms as treats. Which is a pain because they are expensive. But I'm going to continue to try new things and serve it in different ways until something catches on. Webster is following my around pretty well. He loves to cuddle and will sit on my shoulder through a whole movie. I have a grow-with-me diaper harness coming in the mail for him so he can have more freedom. I also ordered a black adult diaper harness for when he's older. I'm going to continue to handle him and hopefully he will turn out great. Wish me luck everyone!

It's good that they are being raised by humans, and separating them was totally needed, although it will make it a lot easier. I was house-sitting a farm for two months, and a duck's eggs hatched while I was there. She was a good mom for a little while, but then she kept leaving her babies, and loosing them. So, into a stall they went, and I became "Momma Duck." I handled them all daily, and would go and just sit in the stall with them. Now, they are all adults, and spoiled rotten! They all come running when I call them, prefer eating from your hand, and love to be cuddled. They still follow me around, and are always crowded around me.

As for treats, try digging up some regular old worms. The live, wiggly ones are almost always irresistible to the little ones. And if he's not sure what to do with it, play with it with your fingers (Pick it up, drop it, pick it up again, etc.) until he catches on.

Hope the little ones grow up a friendly as mine did!!!

Back
Top Bottom