Taming ducklings?

Chicks Galore3

Artistic Bird Nut
11 Years
Dec 16, 2011
Iowa
How can I get my ducklings (12 days old) to become tame? I have 6 pekins and would really like them to be friendly.

How can I get my ducklings (12 days old) to become tame? I have 6 pekins and would really like them to be friendly.

Time, patience, and treats. Lots of treats! You're lucky, they're still young enough to form a close bond with you, even if they're not imprinted.

All you gotta do is take baby steps; if they huddle in the opposite end of the brooder when you approach just moves slowly, talk to them softly and park it right next to the brooder box. Stay there as long as it takes until they stop being afraid and start to go about their normal business. Soon they'll learn that you aren't a threat. Offer some peas or kale in one hand, lower it down into the brooder and just hold it there, eventually it'll click that hands = food!

Bean was TERRIFIED of hands when we got her, and even though she's still a bit skittish, she's much better at being picked up. It just takes a lotta patience. And peas. Definitely peas.

I have sat with them in their brooder twice (Yesterday and today.) and they already are a smidgen less afraid. I picked one up (he didn't like that very much.) and set him on my lap and he did calm down and sit on me for a couple minutes. I discovered, though, that they are afraid to drink much when I am in there, and they start panting and they drank for 5 minutes straight after I got out. So....I'm not sure if it was me or they were just really thirsty.

They might be too old for this trick, but I recently learned that ducklings will frequently calm down and relax if you gently and slowly stroke their beaks while holding them. Might be worth a try...

Back
Top Bottom