Taming ducks.

jenniferlamar70

Songster
Apr 24, 2016
Northern California
Hi, I'm a newbie duck owner. I have just purchased 3 ducklings about a week ago. I'm wondering what I should do to get them used to people. 2 of the 3 do pretty well when we hold them but the 3rd is a biter. Hoping to break this while he/she is little. Any tips,tricks or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :)

I have the same question. I have three ducks that are 7 weeks old now and they just don't care for people. When I had them in the house I had to force them to let me hold them. They didn't bite but they yelled and tried to get away from me the whole time. Now that they are out in their duck run they really never come to me. They will follow me around but at a safe distance. I basically can only look at them now. Help!!

I have the same question. I have three ducks that are 7 weeks old now and they just don't care for people. When I had them in the house I had to force them to let me hold them. They didn't bite but they yelled and tried to get away from me the whole time. Now that they are out in their duck run they really never come to me. They will follow me around but at a safe distance. I basically can only look at them now. Help!! 

Not sure. My friend got her ducks and they follow her all over the place. They are devoted to her lol.

Hi, I'm a newbie duck owner. I have just purchased 3 ducklings about a week ago. I'm wondering what I should do to get them used to people. 2 of the 3 do pretty well when we hold them but the 3rd is a biter. Hoping to break this while he/she is little. Any tips,tricks or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
smile.png
I sometimes give mine treats when I hold them, so they associate being held with something good, but that may not be a habit you want to start.
big_smile.png

I did think about that. Do I need to give them grit too like chickens or can they just have a treat by its self? Also how old can they start having a treat?
smile.png
I started giving mine treats at somewhere around one week. I think they can have it before that age, though. Ducks do need grit, but I don't think they need it with their regular feed. I give mine grit anyways in their feed. I don't know if they need it with a treat. I would just sprinkle a little on if you're going to give them treats (not on the treats, but their regular food.) Maybe someone else knows about grit with treats?
They really really really like peas, just so you know.
big_smile.png

Yes, if you feed anything outside of starter ration, you'll need to provide grit.

I offer grit free choice 24/7, so I can offer treats when I want. If the ducks need the grit, they'll take it.

Be sure to use chick grit, not adult grit!

Back
Top Bottom