Taming ducks.

Hi, I'm a newbie duck owner. I have just purchased 3 ducklings about a week ago. I'm wondering what I should do to get them used to people. 2 of the 3 do pretty well when we hold them but the 3rd is a biter. Hoping to break this while he/she is little. Any tips,tricks or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :)

We have 2 Kacki Campbell's pet ducks. We got them as babies and have held them from the start. Now the girl has always liked my guy and the boy likes me. But they are both used to me handling them and looking them over. We give them baby lettuce and peas along with dried worms and regular feed. We don't give grit. Our research said no grit is needed if you don't give grains. They are indoor ducks with an outdoor pool until we get our own house and can build a pen. The are calm around me but they run from my guy no matter how calm he walks by them!! LOL!! Highly spoiled but very entertaining to watch!! Unfortunately now puberty has hit. So another round of new problems to look forward to.

What breed do you have? I know that khakis are a nervous breed but I tamed mine by petting them at a very young age and by just being near them so that they get used to me.

We have 2 Kacki Campbell's pet ducks. We got them as babies and have held them from the start. Now the girl has always liked my guy and the boy likes me. But they are both used to me handling them and looking them over. We give them baby lettuce and peas along with dried worms and regular feed. We don't give grit. Our research said no grit is needed if you don't give grains. They are indoor ducks with an outdoor pool until we get our own house and can build a pen. The are calm around me but they run from my guy no matter how calm he walks by them!! LOL!! Highly spoiled but very entertaining to watch!! Unfortunately now puberty has hit. So another round of new problems to look forward to.

Our ducks have grown quite a bit now. They are very friendly and like to play even though they don't like to be handled. They have big personalities lol. We have 1 rouen, 1 black swedish and 1 blue swedish. We now just hatched 8 ancona ducks. I'm sure we will have it down by then lol. :)

Back
Top Bottom