Taming Ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ANightPerson, Nov 18, 2016.

1. ANightPerson

ANightPerson Just Hatched

Oct 22, 2016
    My boss gave me two full grown CallingDucks today. They've had almost no human interaction in their lives, and they're full grown. I've raised baby ducks, and they're sweeties. They give kisses, they respond to my voice, and they're nice. She wasn't a me to tame them for her, but I've never tamed a full grown duck. I don't even know where to start. Does anyone have tips?
    [​IMG]

2. guineaMaster

guineaMaster New Egg

Apr 11, 2015
    Hi there,
    training adult ducks to be tame is difficult and requires lots of patience and persistence. Begin by giving them a treat that they really enjoy. Come up with a sentence that you can say before you give it to them so that they recognize that sentence with the treat they're about to get. Start slow and take it one step at at time.

When I bought my first pair of adult indian runners they would flap hysterically and try and run away from me as soon as I walked into their pen. To start taming them i would stand at a distance that they felt comfortable with me being in. I would then call "come on duck duck duck" and through them a worm. I repeated this each day repeating the sentence and then giving them their treat. Eventually as they got more used to me I would call to them but hold onto the worm so that they had to come closer if they wanted to get it. Slowly the ducks gained more confidence and they now come running from any where in the paddock when I call them and happily eat from my Hand.

If if you feed your ducks daily with their favourite treat they will eventually become tame. Good luck![​IMG]

3. ANightPerson

Oct 22, 2016
    Ok, thank you! Though I do have one more problem. I currently have three two-month-old hybrids that actually got really big. They're picking on the new ducks. Every time I put the new ones in with them, they're either terrified, or attack them. Is there any way to fix this?

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

The way I introduce older Ducks is by free ranging and different water bowls set out....A bit of neck tying and biting happens but they settle down....If you can get the new Ducks in with your tame Ducks, they will tame easier just by following the others around and learn from them....My rescued Ducks were terrified of me...It only took a few days and they trusted me because the others trusted me....

Best of luck....

Cheers!

1 person likes this.
  5. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    [​IMG]
    And wanted to add: Grubs, slugs, worms, and bugs are a way to a duckies heart.
    Good luck

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
  6. DuckMD

DuckMD Just Hatched

Aug 27, 2016
    Mine like lettuce and LOVE peas. Give me peas and I'll follow you anywhere, even if I'm a little skittish.

7. Ren2014

Ren2014 Blessed Beyond Hope Premium Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
    I'm no expert but I would keep call ducks separate from the larger duck breeds. They sure are cute.
    Treats are the trick. Meal worms, frozen peas, cracked corn. Good luck[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. ANightPerson

Oct 22, 2016
    That's the thing, they've been going in with my boss's giant Swedes when she had them, and were fine, but my two-month-old ducklings are giving them a hard time. I have three, two attack the CallingDucks, and the third is terrified of them (although he's the biggest duck I have...).

9. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I have 5 Ducks, just got a new Call Duck Hen yesterday....So I have 3 Calls and Three standard sized Ducks.....I just put her in with the others and have had zero issues....I guess I have great Ducks? A bit of the usual pecking and bossing......I takes time for them to settle....Calls are small but still Ducks.....I guess it depends on room and each Bird?
    Strange its the younger ones causing the issues? Usually it is the older ones that get real bossy.....

Cheers!

10. luvmyduckies

luvmyduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2016
    Upper Sandusky OHIO
    I got a flock of ducks about 2 years ago and from the begining I fed them at the same time everyday. They learned quickly that the lady that comes with thepink bucket calling "Hey Guys" has food and run up and follow me like the Pied Piper.
    When I have added ducks I have added small groups or pairs. I usually start them outside to free range for the day and over time the groups intergrate into one group, altho this last bunch of 4 young Khakis are taking a little longer than previos group.
    I think it may be in part due to the pair of Pekin Ducks I added Tony and Carmella, Tony was very bassy when he came to my group and the last 4 Khakis were very young. I currently have 18 ducks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by