taming wild chicks

trailhound

Songster
11 Years
Mar 7, 2008
So I have been a chick tender for about 30 hours now and remain fascinated with watching them. Even my husband keeps a close eye on them . The dog and cats think they are scary. I just read another post about sleepy chicks and had to chuckle because mine do the same thing. Their new game for today is to have jumping contests. They all start looking up and see who can jump the highest into the air. They also seem to be trying to fly-taking flapping leaps across the cage, which is pretty funny as well. Interestingly, they also seem to be starting to establish their pecking order, right now, they seem to be taking turns, lol.

I just got them yesterday and they spent the first week of their lives on a shelf in the hardware story so they are pretty skittish. I have been trying to take them out every few hours and handle them. I would love for them to get to the point where they are not scared of me- do I just need to have more patience or will it be harder because they were wild that first week. I am worried that I should have tried harder to get day old chicks instead of week old ones.

Tomorrow they go to school to spend a few weeks with my kindergarten class, I guess that will get them used to human life pretty quickly!

prety much as long as they have the contact they will calm down. but with kindergartens it could get rowdy but i think the will acclimate to that also.

We have chought feral chickens before and we got some of them to where they were used to people. So, you should be able to get them to where they like people.

Goodluck
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom