Tan membrane- Time to intervene?

PippinChicken

Songster
Oct 28, 2017
My first hatch is underway with some Marans and Ameraucana eggs. All but one have pipped and one is zipping. All have normal looking white membranes except this one that has a more greenish tan membrane. I attached a picture of it and the zipping one for comparison. I know tan membranes are supposed to mean your humidity was too low and it has gotten tough, but is it possible for only one egg in the incubator to be having this problem?
DB0FE97D-1EE9-4FDF-8D09-8EADB40AF970.jpeg

How long has the zipping one been like that? It usually takes, at the most, 5 minutes to zip. If it is drying out I would assist its hatching. I would moisten the drying membrane up with a wet paper towel or some coconut oil.

Good luck! :fl

How long has the zipping one been like that? It usually takes, at the most, 5 minutes to zip. If it is drying out I would assist its hatching. I would moisten the drying membrane up with a wet paper towel or some coconut oil.

Good luck! :fl

Thank you! It’s the one on the left that is the odd color, has it cracked enough to be considered zipping?

Well thanks to the encouragement of the one on the right who busted out and is now stumbling all around, the one with the suspicious membrane color made a new hole slightly above the previous spot. Even though it’s so close, the membrane is a totally normal white in the new spot and it has its little beak sticking through so I’m much less concerned now :)

Well thanks to the encouragement of the one on the right who busted out and is now stumbling all around, the one with the suspicious membrane color made a new hole slightly above the previous spot. Even though it’s so close, the membrane is a totally normal white in the new spot and it has its little beak sticking through so I’m much less concerned now :)
It looks to me like it pipped below the aircell and possibly hit a blood vessel on it's way though it shouldn't cause a problem just give it extra time to get out on its own. :)

Back
Top Bottom