Tango the Bare Breasted Andalusian

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SoldierSailor, Dec 14, 2015.

1. SoldierSailor

SoldierSailor Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2015
    Oceanside CA
    Our Blue Andalusian (tango or cash I can't keep them straight) has a big bare spot on her chest.

My wife has caught the other chickens plucking her feathers out but not attacking her.
    No broken skin. No mites.

The just started laying this month.

[​IMG][​IMG]

It looks distended. She is otherwise acting normal.

Is this a molting thing? Not sure why the others are eating her feathers.

They have plenty of oyster shell and grit in the run & food. Meal worms and Oats

Anything to worry about???

2. Jesusfreak101

Jesusfreak101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2015
    Texas
    My Coop
    Try increasing their protien thats a normal cause of feather eating and you mean her crop?

3. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    How old is she? If she's 18 months or older, it could very well be molting. But molting usually has a nice uniform array of pin feathers in the bald area. Unless the other is nabbing the pin feathers as soon as they emerge.

What I would do is paint the fleshy area with Blu-kote to disguise the nude skin, which is irresistible to chickens. You might also spread some Rooster Booster pic-no-mor on it. Or you can concoct something similar with Vicks and grape Kool-aid powder.

By the way, that area is the crop and it's normally distended. It's all the more conspicuous due to the visual illusion of the lighter area appearing to be closer than the surrounding dark area.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I would also check her crop on the roost at night then first thing in the morning before feeding to make sure it's emptying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by