Tanyizzle's Garage-Side Coop

Quote:
Sounds like you found the answers to the ladder question. The boards in the cement blocks are varying length due to the slope, however its just shy of 3 feet on the long end. The plan for cleaning it (havent had to do it yet) is to open the doors and rake out the wood chips, yes. I am considering switching to sand inside the coop as people say its easier for cleaning. As for plans, we pretty much just designed it as we went, I just kinda drew a picture of what we wanted before we started. Its 4ft by 16ft, which reduced the amount of wasted wood and necessary cutting, as most boards were either cut in half or used whole for the frame and walls. I can give approx dimensions if you'd like, but you can probably guess most of em.

Great, thanks so much. I have a shed with a window that I am hoping to use for the laying boxes, i.e., remove the window and put in a box or two. With the rest of their shelter next to the wall, makes it wasy to use what I have & not build all new. I love the idea of the parallel ladder, it will keep the size compact and that is exactly what I need. Right now my girls do not want to be contained at all, they have free range spirits! They even perch on the outside of their makeshift coop. I worried at first but either the predators do not exist here or they are defending themselves. I suspect they will want the shelter when the snow starts tho and that is why I am tryng to build now! I got my cement post holders and my posts today, will see what kind of help I can get this week & see if I can get this done!
Thanks again for the info.
smile.png

Amazing coop design. I love that the run is underneath, double up your real estate!

The only issue I see, and I may be wrong and hopefully the other BYC'ers can correct me, but I think you shouldn't use dowel rods for roosts, I believe it hurts their feet and causes a painful callus.

Keep up the great work, I can't wait to see all your progress!

Back
Top Bottom