Much as I'd prefer an organic alternative, I started using avitrol plus bird wormer tablets successfully(?) - on recommendation from breeder- to treat my flock of 7 hens for tapeworm. I now do this every 3-4 months unless I see segments of worms in poo then I do it straight away. That happened a couple of weeks ago. My favourite "Sooky" a 6 month old Barnevelder -was lethargic and not eating much then I found little tapeworm segments in her poo so i wormed them according to directions (though only 18 hour fasting prior- as usual actually). She was quiet for the day then seemed better the next day and I felt relieved to see larger tapeworm bits in her poo. 2 days or so more, when I saw an almost inch long bit hanging, dry on her bottom, I (stupidly?) gave it a gentle tug to get it out and broke it off. It's been 2 weeks now since they were wormed, one's gone broody and only 2 are laying again. I'm thinking the worming wasn't so successful and I feel dreadful for Sooky. She's lethargic again, but was still eating grass and would still come for some sorrel leaves but has a full crop. She was still getting on a high perch to roost but last night, since she was hesitating, I placed her in the favoured spot on the perch......and... I decided to give her another worming tablet - as I read that sometimes another dose is needed........ I found her still there early this morning. I lifted her down and put her down and she's not balanced or standing up. It's hard to know if this is the natural decline she was heading for or if the tablet has made her worse. Last time she was quiet for the day then better. Her face is still looks quite bright. I put her near water, she drank a bit, a actually put her in front of the whole sorrel clump (an impossible treat before) and she ate a bit but all while sitting down. I've massaged her crop over the past week and it doesn't seem to hurt her. it's full on mostly one side (?) and not shifting. She's lost weight and is very placid though was always very friendly and not anxious when held. As she keeps hanging in there and wandering around eating grass every so often, I'm wondering what I can do to help her shift the blockage without taking her for surgery....I've brought her inside in a cardboard box where she's sitting now. Any advice? I'm thinking natural now. I'm not happy or confident to use any more chemical stuff with so many conflicting ideas. I'm wondering about oils or yoghurt or some other gentle sort of thing. Has anyone dealt with a blockage successfully before. Sooky and I would much appreciate it.