Tapeworm Deworming Questions

I had a surprisingly easy time dosing 18 chickens by myself. I got 'em after they went to "bed", took 'em down one at a time, held under one arm, and with other hand used 2 fingers to pry open beak and 3rd finger to wipe meds inside. Sorry about the run-on sentence, but hope you get the idea. =] p.s. suggest dust mask since most flapped for balance when putting them back on roosts.

I had a surprisingly easy time dosing 18 chickens by myself. I got 'em after they went to "bed", took 'em down one at a time, held under one arm, and with other hand used 2 fingers to pry open beak and 3rd finger to wipe meds inside. Sorry about the run-on sentence, but hope you get the idea. =] p.s. suggest dust mask since most flapped for balance when putting them back on roosts.
Welcome to BYC and thanks for sharing your experience!

-Kathy

Thanks! I hope I have it that easy when I buy z-gold. I have never seen small segments in poop b4 (believe me,I look!) But just found 2" tapeworm piece on a poop. Yuck. Can see lots of segment ridges but no mouth - prob still in chicken. =[

Medicating orally is much easier than people think.
big_smile.png

-Kathy

Thanks! I hope I have it that easy when I buy z-gold. I have never seen small segments in poop b4 (believe me,I look!) But just found 2" tapeworm piece on a poop. Yuck. Can see lots of segment ridges but no mouth - prob still in chicken. =[

You're correct. The head (scolex) is buried in the intestinal lining and will continue grow segments and shed them. The z-gold will take care of it.

Thanks dawg and Kathy. I bet a bunch of you get tired of the same questions and comments! It would be great if there were a specific place to look on BYC for signs or symptoms and what to do - like a flow chart. (Maybe there is one?) Then you could just repeat the link to it, instead. I've raised chickens for 16 years now, but sometimes feel like I need to read Chickens for Dummies.

Radbird came up with a pretty severe case of tapes this past week.. She was definitely not feeling too great so I ordered some d-worm tablets praxiquantel/pyrantel (small dog) considering I only have the one hen. 24 hours later she went from having hundreds of the little suckers in her poops to me not being able to find even one, and she's back to her ornery little self antagonizing the dog
1f606.png

Last edited:
Just wanted to give everyone an update: I was only able to give z gold to some of my chickens because of the texture and smell and it was very difficult to give it to some of them. I found vetafarms wormout tablets and those worked so much better for me! Because there wasn't the sticky texture or funny smell anymore, I simply picked up each chicken and gave them either a half a tablet or whole tablet depending on their weight. My chickens are fairly tame so it was pretty easy to open their beaks and drop the tablet in. I also like how it treats all kinds of worms including tapeworms.

I have a couple of questions about deworming: for how long does the dewormer act in their system? (Just for the day you give it to them or a couple dayside longer?) and how long do you typically see the worms in their stool as the dewormer is working? Should they be gone from stools in a few days?

Back
Top Bottom