Tapeworms????

RR88

In the Brooder
May 17, 2020
hi everyone I could really use some help, I’ve only had chickens for 3 months and I’m running into issues and could use some input

I have 3 chickens that are 14 weeks old (Came for a reputable breeder got them at 1 week old) and 4 chickens that are 9 weeks old (got them at tsc at about 2-3 days old quarantined them for 4 weeks)

1. One of my 14 week olds a BO has been passing “normal” stools but they have yellow urates, whenever she’s free ranging the yard I watch her and if I see her poo Igo over and check it out it usually has a yellow urate but the ones I find in the morning on the droppings tray are yellow under her. I will attach a picture below

2. one of my 9 week olds has been acting lethargic the past 2 days laying down with her eyes closed but she does get up and move around and eat/drink but doesn’t really hangout with the others so I put her in my garage in a pack n play to isolate her

3. yesterday was about 93 degrees out and I gave everyone watermelon not sure if these poops are “normal hot day, been drinking more water, ate watermelon poops“ or if they’re a sign something is up. Will post pics of the 4 questionable runny poops below from yesterday

4. then today I’m cleaning up the droppings trays and everything looks rather normal besides one poo that has a ton more urates on it then poop will also put this picture below

5. after I was done cleaning this morning I went in the run just to make sure everyone looked good and I noticed on the perch a poo that had red. I have had my chickens poo shed intestinal lining before in the past when the older 3 were younger so I have a good idea on what to look for and I’m pretty sure it was just shed lining it’s “meaty/gelatinous/stringy” but upon inspecting it I noticed white/clearish little things in it after doing some research im wondering if it’s not tapeworms, if so could this be causing the other issues as well??
What do I buy for tapeworms/how much do I give them? I don’t have a scale currently so I don’t know how much each chicken weighs. And what do I do as far as sanitizing the coop/run/my backyard can I spray something like Oxine or bleach to kill the tapeworm larvae?? I have 3 kids and 2 dogs who also utilize the same backyard have it as well..... not worried about egg withdrawal since no one is laying yet unless the product has a lifetime egg withdrawal

thanks for your help I appreciate it

Photos
1.runny poo
2.Yellow urates poo coming from my BO
3-4-5. are runny poos from yesterday
6. Mostly urates poo
7. Shed lining and possible tapeworms??
3A68C7F2-592F-4871-9EEA-2AAF440498A8.jpeg

9D8F5CE8-ED01-4881-86A3-A70D5637B3D8.jpeg
193C5602-2CCC-49BD-AF95-03209A79619B.jpeg
4EFB82BD-D5F3-4F74-A451-00AB42B5E484.jpeg
C613E0B5-0A8A-403B-8ED0-FA3CE4C02990.jpeg
39129519-CC2D-45F9-A310-A1BB48ACEAEF.jpeg
AC39AA04-B7F2-4CFD-9F8A-226F618F5C27.jpeg

They had watermelon, so the red may be from that.

What type of feed are you feeding? The yellow urates could due to a liver problem.
The grit in the poop looks like polished grit or oyster shell, not worms. Tapeworms look like the video below.

Getting a fecal float to see if worms are a problem is always a good idea.

And I’m an idiot and realized upon inspecting the tapeworm poop that the “larvae “ is hard like a rock and I use sweet pdz granules And have sand in my run so it’s probably that
They had watermelon, so the red may be from that.

What type of feed are you feeding? The yellow urates could due to a liver problem.
The grit in the poop looks like polished grit or oyster shell, not worms. Tapeworms look like the video below.

Getting a fecal float to see if worms are a problem is always a good idea.

That’s true it could definitely be watermelon!!
they’re currently on chick starter/grower naturewise brand.
the grit I supply them is gray colored but they free range and the run has sand in it and I used sweet pdz in the droppings trays under the roosting bars I actually went down after you said that and closer examined a piece that had that in it and poked it with a stick and it’s hard like a rock so definitely isn’t worms/larvae. Don’t know why I didn’t think to do that the first time instead of stressing myself out about tapeworms....
I have to bring a sample to my vet for my dog so I will take some chicken samples to and see if they’ll take a look at them even though they don’t see chickens.

and as far as my BO that has the yellow urates any ideas on what could be causing liver issues in a chicken so young?? And what I can do to help her

Thanks!!! I use this page all the time lol I know one of the best ways to keep track of your flocks health is to keep an eye on their stools because it usually tells more than their behavior since they hide illness and with how many different types of poo they have I’m always comparing to that article it’s been super helpful all these months

Thanks!!! I use this page all the time lol I know one of the best ways to keep track of your flocks health is to keep an eye on their stools because it usually tells more than their behavior since they hide illness and with how many different types of poo they have I’m always comparing to that article it’s been super helpful all these months
Unfortunately some of the poops we’ve been having aren’t included in that page like the yellow urates so I’ve been navigating that one on my own and anytime you put “yellow-chicken-urates” together in google you just get cecal poop info not urates

And I’m an idiot and realized upon inspecting the tapeworm poop that the “larvae “ is hard like a rock and I use sweet pdz granules And have sand in my run so it’s probably that
Ha!!
I use PDZ too and it's definitely made me take closer look at times...(is that speck moving?).
Also remember the first time they got watermelon flesh.

Don't worry too much about poops.
Sifting the boards is a good opportunity to observe, but there are many 'normal' poops.
Here's another good visual reference for all kinds of poops,
just don't jump to any terrible conclusions too quickly:
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/?topic=17568.0

That’s true it could definitely be watermelon!!
they’re currently on chick starter/grower naturewise brand.
the grit I supply them is gray colored but they free range and the run has sand in it and I used sweet pdz in the droppings trays under the roosting bars I actually went down after you said that and closer examined a piece that had that in it and poked it with a stick and it’s hard like a rock so definitely isn’t worms/larvae. Don’t know why I didn’t think to do that the first time instead of stressing myself out about tapeworms....
I have to bring a sample to my vet for my dog so I will take some chicken samples to and see if they’ll take a look at them even though they don’t see chickens.

and as far as my BO that has the yellow urates any ideas on what could be causing liver issues in a chicken so young?? And what I can do to help her
I would just monitor the poops for a while. See if the BO is drinking well.

I dont know about any of the other stuff, but tape worms have a certain look, they look like a small piece of boiled egg white, smoothe and wet, but about the size of if you found a piece of eggshell in a bowl after you cracked an egg (tiny) They have a wet look like covered in broken raw egg white, and they move if you look closely.

I dont know about any of the other stuff, but tape worms have a certain look, they look like a small piece of boiled egg white, smoothe and wet, but about the size of if you found a piece of eggshell in a bowl after you cracked an egg (tiny) They have a wet look like covered in broken raw egg white, and they move if you look closely.
It was just grit 🤦🏻‍♀️ I went back down and rechecked after posting this and actually poked the white pieces and they’re just rocks.... but good to know for in the future if I ever run into an issue with worms

Back
Top Bottom