Taping cat ears; similar to taping dog ears?

it makes me wonder if dogs with floppy ears also have anything they are prone to? I know they get ear infections easier
That seems to be the main problem, that, and if they get a cut on their ear any movement (like shaking their head, as the ears slap back and forth) seems to reopen the wound so they take longer to heal. I prefer upright ears on dogs or just half flopped, just so I don't have to deal with yucky ears or 3 months of watching a wound that doesn't want to fully close.

That seems to be the main problem, that, and if they get a cut on their ear any movement (like shaking their head, as the ears slap back and forth) seems to reopen the wound so they take longer to heal. I prefer upright ears on dogs or just half flopped, just so I don't have to deal with yucky ears or 3 months of watching a wound that doesn't want to fully close.
I’ve seen some people get them cropped because of chronic ear tip tears/wounds. It’s like happy tail but for ears. Happy tail is when they wag so hard and/or hit it against something and open their tail up. Can be very hard to heal so some wind up getting their tail amputated or at least part of it. They do the same for ear wounds sometimes. As both are very painful and hard to deal with. Some never close on their own and will just keep reopening. That’s usually when they do amputations.

I’ve seen some people get them cropped because of chronic ear tip tears/wounds. It’s like happy tail but for ears. Happy tail is when they wag so hard and/or hit it against something and open their tail up. Can be very hard to heal so some wind up getting their tail amputated or at least part of it. They do the same for ear wounds sometimes. As both are very painful and hard to deal with. Some never close on their own and will just keep reopening. That’s usually when they do amputations.
I've heard of it being done for happy tail but not for ears. Last time one of my dogs (with mostly floppy ears) got a tear in it (one of the other dogs snagged it while playing), it was opening up on and off for about 3 months. Didn't bother her in the least but it drove me nuts! Thankfully it's all healed up now.

I've heard of it being done for happy tail but not for ears. Last time one of my dogs (with mostly floppy ears) got a tear in it (one of the other dogs snagged it while playing), it was opening up on and off for about 3 months. Didn't bother her in the least but it drove me nuts! Thankfully it's all healed up now.
Yeah, I’ve only seen it done for ears like once or twice. I think it’s a lot less common. But oh wow that sounds like a huge pain! Glad it’s healed up now!

That is sad😢. I guess it might be kinder for happy tail prone breeds to get docked as a eensy puppy. The tail wound is sure hard to deal with.

That is sad😢. I guess it might be kinder for happy tail prone breeds to get docked as a eensy puppy. The tail wound is sure hard to deal with.
I'm not sure it's a breed thing. My old dog had it. We joked she must have been an Anklyosaurus in a past life. Plum near knocked my brother out more than once when he was itty

I'm not sure it's a breed thing. My old dog had it. We joked she must have been an Anklyosaurus in a past life. Plum near knocked my brother out more than once when he was itty
Ankylosaurus?! 🤣😂 I love that image and it describes my sister's great dane to a "t"! He has injured many adult men in sensitive areas🤣

Back
Top Bottom