Taping cat ears; similar to taping dog ears?

Anonymous__

Chirping
Sep 6, 2021
I've seen people taping dog ears for show or preference to be up or down. I've wanted to adopt a cat with Scottish fold ears but currently have a domestic short hair kitten so I was wondering if there was a way to tape cat ears like people do with dogs and if it was safe and effective? I have found anything online about it so I look forward any helpful responses!

Thank you for the info, everyone! I love the floppy/folded ear look but prioritize their safety and comfort first so I won't be taping their ears just to update. Also, what's the genetic issue in Scottish folds and how does it affect them? They were one of my favorite breeds as a kid and I was hoping to adopt one a few years down the line

Thank you for the info, everyone! I love the floppy/folded ear look but prioritize their safety and comfort first so I won't be taping their ears just to update. Also, what's the genetic issue in Scottish folds and how does it affect them? They were one of my favorite breeds as a kid and I was hoping to adopt one a few years down the line
Thank you for being open minded and heeding our advice. Not everyone is like that.

Here is a little bit about the Scottish Fold genetic issue from a PetMD article (https://www.petmd.com/cat/breeds/scottish-fold):

"Known as “Scottish Fold disease,” osteochondrodysplasia causes abnormalities in joints and bone development, [says Dr. Primrose Moss, VetMB, MRCVS, a UK-based small-animal veterinarian]. It’s responsible for the cat’s cute, folded ears but affects cartilage throughout the body. This results in early onset arthritis, pain, and even behavioral changes caused by discomfort. All Scottish Fold cats are affected, although some may experience more discomfort than others, Moss says."

Thank you for being open minded and heeding our advice. Not everyone is like that.

Here is a little bit about the Scottish Fold genetic issue from a PetMD article (https://www.petmd.com/cat/breeds/scottish-fold):

"Known as “Scottish Fold disease,” osteochondrodysplasia causes abnormalities in joints and bone development, [says Dr. Primrose Moss, VetMB, MRCVS, a UK-based small-animal veterinarian]. It’s responsible for the cat’s cute, folded ears but affects cartilage throughout the body. This results in early onset arthritis, pain, and even behavioral changes caused by discomfort. All Scottish Fold cats are affected, although some may experience more discomfort than others, Moss says."
That's horrible! I know cats and dogs aren't the same but it makes me wonder if dogs with floppy ears also have anything they are prone to? I know they get ear infections easier since their ears provide a darker more optimal space for bad things to grow in there but does anyone know if there are any special disease or joint problems that occur more in floppy ear dogs? I have a dog that looks like a lab mix so I want make sure to give my pets the best care to my knowledge

That's horrible! I know cats and dogs aren't the same but it makes me wonder if dogs with floppy ears also have anything they are prone to? I know they get ear infections easier since their ears provide a darker more optimal space for bad things to grow in there but does anyone know if there are any special disease or joint problems that occur more in floppy ear dogs? I have a dog that looks like a lab mix so I want make sure to give my pets the best care to my knowledge
Not that I know of. But certain breeds are prone to certain genetic health problems. Always make sure you buy a purebred animal from a breeder who has done the appropriate genetic tests on their breeding animals.

No. Not in that regard

I apologize if my answer sounded snappish yesterday. My overactive imagination immediately conjured up an image of a ballistic kitten with scotch-taped ears 🙁. I didn't think to mention why they're like that.

I have a British Shorthair, he is a big handsome sweet natured cat. He's also very shy so people never see him LoL.

Attachments

• IMG_2023-02-15-07-49-30-278.jpg
    IMG_2023-02-15-07-49-30-278.jpg
    323.1 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom