Target shopping bag

We have absolutely noticed a difference in the calls for aerial and ground based predator, yes, thank you!! My big rooster also seems to have a variation on his ground call that he uses when he sees the piece of PVC I use to heard them get picked up (never have I ever hit or poked, just move it behind them).

The girls also definitely know the difference between their three caregivers, and who is most likely to give them treats.

I will work on getting video of their calls, for SCIENCE!

@Shadrach : researchers seem to believe that groundhogs have a complex language that includes the ability to identify different people, almost as though they give "names" to certain individuals. Is there any evidence that chickens do this? In other words, do your chickens, or any of them, give a particular call to announce your presence? Like, "bock bock," for "Dad's coming"? Sorry I can't cite the groundhog thing, it's just something I read or heard somewhere several years ago.

The 'may be a threat call' here goes something like this.
A long bok and then four short ones after, a bit like, dash, dot dot dot dot, except with a chicken accent.

If you don't mind, I am going to try to make a chicken dictionary here.

__ = long bok
. = short bok

Egg song: . . . . . . ___ . . . . . . . ___ . . . . . . ___
Maybe threat: __ . . . .
Ariel predator: ??
Ground predator: ??

Back
Top Bottom