Tarp as shade?

norcal

Songster
10 Years
Apr 10, 2009
Northern California
I need shade for my run. Right now the coop shades part of the run, until around 3. Then a rabbit hutch shades it. I am going to move the hutch now (to the shade, no rabbits yet). If I put up a tarp to cover part of my run, and to have it go down the side (on the West) for shade, how can I keep it from blowing away? And or taking my chicken wire w/ it? The top of the run is not yet covered w/ wire. Any ideas for the late afternoon/evening run? On a serious BUDGET.

I guess this will be temporary anyhow, as we will cover the run w/ wire before autumn.

we used a tarp and secured it to the fence using zip ties. Don't know if you have them where you are but Harbor Freight Tools has tarps starting at $4 and 100 zip ties for $1

Zip ties will work. Only thing you might want to do is stand a 2x4 on end (kind of like a tent pole) under the part of the tarp that goes over the top so that water will drain over the side if it rains.

If you use shade cloth instead, it will not flap or blow off in the wind taking half your coop/run with it.

If you can only find relatively low % shade cloth, you can double it if you don't mind the extra expense. Or just install it so it's more vertical than horizontal -- if it is at a steep angle to the sun, rather than nearly perpendicular to the sun's rays, you get a LOT more shade than the %ge would indicate.

I <heart> shadecloth.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Thanks for all the replies!!

Will attempt it tomorrow. I have no money for shade cloth right now and have a couple tarps. Will slits cut into it, help lessen the wind force, or not (I'm guessing not)?
hu.gif

Hey I arched 1 inch PVC plastic pipe over top then covered with plastic netting. I tied plastic tarps to the PVC works very well.

I would not do slits, they will ready the tarp to shred apart almost immediately when a wind hits. Holes won't do much good either btw.

Your best bet is to crisscross ropes across it, as much as possible, so that there is ideally no more than a foot in any direction between ropes. The less of a 'big flappy pocket' there is for the wind to catch, the less it will shred and thrash.

However be aware that this can transfer quite a lot of force to whatever your tarp and ropes are attached TO, in a strong wind, so you wouldn't want to do it if there were ANY question of them getting ripped off by a tarp trying to become a kite. If you have nothing super-strong super-well-anchored to attach the tarp to, honestly your best bet is to either use something more permeable (if not shadecloth, can you find something else somewhat open weave -- burlap? a cheap afghan from the thrift store?) or attach the tarp loosely so that in the event of a strong wind it will blow off rather than ripping your run apart.

Good luck, have fun, seriously see what you can find in the bedding section of thrift stores,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom