Tatanka Breeders Club: Meat Quail project with history, discussion, pictures and videos

Discussion in 'Quail' started by MobyQuail, Feb 15, 2012.

1. lukem5

lukem5 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2014
    After reading some of the pages in this thread I can see tatanka breeders aren’t giving or selling their line - which is understandable. If I wanted to start breeding out a line of bigger quail/ eggs where should I start? Any commercial breeders selling a line that would be a good starting point vs regular cotirnix which may take many decades to work my way up to >15g eggs.

Tammy N likes this.
  2. Ulaidian

Ulaidian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2017
    Belfast Northern Ireland
    Get the biggest out of every hatch, keep them, breed them to the other 'biggest of hatch' and a few generations down the line.. or buy a bantam chicken :D

3. RxQuailFiend

RxQuailFiend Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2017
    I bought jumbo browns they just started laying and I already have several eggs over 15g. Ill definitely be using all the great advice in this thread to make the most of my browns. I started in quail to fill my freezer and bigger birds will fill it faster.

Tammy N likes this.
  4. RxQuailFiend

RxQuailFiend Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2017
    So whats the heaviest weights so far observed in the tatankas? Live weight, cleaned weight, egg weights. I know there have been posts saying over X in weights but was there ever a record holding massive bird?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by