Tax Question (not Tax Advice) - Form 1065-A "Generic Poultry Value"

U_Stormcrow

Crossing the Road
Jun 7, 2020
North FL Panhandle Region / Wiregrass
Question - I am NOT seeking Tax advice, like whether I need to complete a 1065-A, or whether i need to report the value of my flock for inventory purposes on a 1065-A or not or anything like that.

ASSUMING that I do need to provide a valuation... What value, if any, are you placing on a "generic laying hen (mutt)". Do you use the same figure for your roosters (also mutts)? Ducks?

Seemingly, I need to finish my 1065 for my LLC in the next 24 hours (or less) to get it mailed off, and I haven't a clue what my birds are worth (fair value). That I don't have enough profit to result in a tax burden is immaterial, I'm just trying to be a good citizen and do things correctly. ...and, of course, it may matter in future tax years.

Thanks!

(I'm also searchign Cragslist, etc to see what the current market looks like, and will be poking around the local ACE and TSC for chick values as a reference, as well.)

Locally, adult hens are getting $15-25, bsl rsl rir leghons getting the higher end, dropping to 15-20 as they age up. Roosters are across the board $5-10 cheaper, and of course mutts run cheaper by about $5.

Unless I find a USDA or IRS document saying otherwise, or more input from the community, I'm going to use $20/ as a fair market average for the young hens and $10/ for the roos. Which is probably close to the meat value on them.

Back
Top Bottom