1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. Chicks R Friends NOT Food

Chicks R Friends NOT Food Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Chariho RI
    So I have a cold and my chest and throat are killing me. Any ideas what to add to tea that will help me feel better?
    I've heard honey helps, what else?

2. playswithfowl

playswithfowl One Earth!

Jun 18, 2007
    Oregon
    I have always put lemon and honey in tea, seems to help [​IMG] I have cold too [​IMG] , I think I'll myself some tea too

3. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Quote:Honey will help a sore throat, mint tea will help with stuffiness.

4. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

Don't forget the fresh ginger! My grandfather swore by garlic in his tea... eww. I've been known to eat raw garlic when I've been stuffed up, and it does clear the sinuses... but again... eww.

5. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Honey and Lemon!

Get better soon!

6. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Chamomile, little lemon, and honey. My grandmother swore by it and it's wonderful. [​IMG] Hope you feel better too. I also have a virus cold. That's what the kids bring me home from school. [​IMG]

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Cup of hot water with a couple tablespoons of organic, unfiltered apple cider vinegar with honey added for sweetness. Has loads of vitamins. Take that once or twice a day.

8. Amethyste

Amethyste For Love of Boo...

If I need to clear my nose, a very hot cup of chai usually does it.

If its is just a head cold, then have indian lamb curry etc... the spices in that will clear you up fast!

9. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    I know someone who swore by a shot of apple schnapps in hot tea or even just sipping peppermint schnapps straight up. Personally I like any hot tea, hold it close to your face and breath in those warm humid fumes while sipping. Never fails to open up my head and soothe my throat. These days I like honey vanilla chai tea.

10. Chicks R Friends NOT Food

Chicks R Friends NOT Food Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Chariho RI
    Thank you everyone. Luckily I have honey on hand. I'll try to get some lemon and ginger. I'm pretty much over my cold, but it wrecked my throat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by