Teacher seeking info in Kansas: Please Help!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by rlwt, Jan 11, 2012.

1. rlwt

rlwt Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2012
    Lawrence, KS
    I am a middle school teacher and I first got interested in chickens through looking for information for an incubation project to do with my 6th graders. I am now at the stage where I am looking for Orpington hatching eggs and absorbing as much information as possible. I am hoping to convince my head of school to let the kids raise the chickens out back and sell eggs from the school as a business/biology project. I am in Lawrence, KS so if anyone has any good ideas for this project there are a few things I'm looking into now:

1. I'm trying to decide where to purchase eggs from. Every thing I have seen so far has involved shipping and I'd love to go pick up the eggs from someone so that they do not get shaken so much in their trip here.
    2. I am trying to decide if I should purchase, borrow or build an incubator and a rotating platform for the eggs.
    3. I'm pretty sure I want Orpingtons but if anyone has a better suggestion please share what it is and why.
    4. I need to find either a cheap coop for the birds whether they stay at the school or elsewhere or I could find a plan to build one so any ideas there would be useful as well.

Looking forward to getting some good info!

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  2. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Hello!!!!! [​IMG]
    I'm in Olathe Kansas, about 40 minutes away!
    I'm sorry, I can't help you with that. [​IMG]

3. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    [​IMG] from Missouri!

4. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us. You can try going to the Where am I! Where are you? section and post on your state's thread that you're looking for hatching eggs or look on your local craigslist. I've never built an incubator (I do have two Hovabators that I love, though), but there are plenty of incubator plans on here, as well as, coop plans:

Incubators: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/homemade-chicken-egg-incubator-designs-pictures
    Coops: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coop_Designs

5. ChickensXOXO

ChickensXOXO Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    The Carolinas
    [​IMG] from North Carolina.

Good luck with your project.

6. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
  7. Cowgirl75446

Cowgirl75446 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2011
    Texas
    [​IMG] from Texas!

8. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

9. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    ChooksChick is right there in Lawrence and she might be able to help you out with fertile eggs. Don't know if she has Orpingtons, but she has a lot of cool breeds.

10. vickie2133

vickie2133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Corbin
    Do you have a local 4H program in your area? They sometimes raise and show chickens, and I know order some. It may be a good thing to look into. I think you have a great idea and it would be a great experience for the kids.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by