TeaChick's Chicks

THE PLAN (so far) FOR BEAUTY:

- Keep up with the yogurt mixture in the brooder.
- Put honey in her water (possibly the ACV too, IDK yet).
- Put Snoodle (Frizzle Bantam Cochin) in the brooder with her.
- Put separate food in the brooder for Snoodle, so that Beauty gets to eat the yogurt.
- Open the front of the brooder about midday, so that they can get out when they're ready.

I hope that Snoodle is able to encourage Beauty to get out and peck around the yard tomorrow afternoon.

If Beauty is egg bound, I hope she passes the shell soon and safely!!!

Well, everybody, take care!!! =)

THE PLAN (so far) FOR BEAUTY:

- Keep up with the yogurt mixture in the brooder.
- Put honey in her water (possibly the ACV too, IDK yet).
- Put Snoodle (Frizzle Bantam Cochin) in the brooder with her.
- Put separate food in the brooder for Snoodle, so that Beauty gets to eat the yogurt.
- Open the front of the brooder about midday, so that they can get out when they're ready.

I hope that Snoodle is able to encourage Beauty to get out and peck around the yard tomorrow afternoon.

If Beauty is egg bound, I hope she passes the shell soon and safely!!!

Well, everybody, take care!!! =)
Sounds pretty good!!

I didn't bother with putting in separate food for Snoodle.
I opened the front of the brooder and both hens left it within about ten minutes.

Other possibilities are that Beauty is hibernating (not like a bear, but like a hummingbird, I guess) and/or that she's not as ready for the cold weather as she could be.
Those are added to molting (more likely) and egg bound (less likely). I'm leaning toward the two added possibilities.

I got three white eggs yesterday, which means all my Leghorns are laying; next, I hope they get the production up.
I got four brown eggs today (so far) and a white egg. I think that just the Comets are laying. It's possible that the smallest/lightest colored eggs I've been getting are Snoodles, but there's no real way to know for sure w/o cooping her and I'm just not going to do that, so.... =o/

The smaller light brown in the middle looks like a b.Cochin egg.....

Here are a bunch of cochin eggs, next to B.Orpington eggs which are a little bit larger than my comet eggs..... (unfortunately, all these hens were predator losses)

It's a little slightly further down in the sink than the ones around it, but it is smaller.
Thank you so much for the comparison photos; they help tremendously!!!
So, it looks like Snoodle is laying! I get to tell my DH that she's earning her keep after all. lol

Its always nice when they decide to quit being moochers!
lau.gif

I know that my b.Cochin eggs had just a slightly smaller yolk (not much), but they usually didn't have as much white as the others.

Its always nice when they decide to quit being moochers!
lau.gif

I know that my b.Cochin eggs had just a slightly smaller yolk (not much), but they usually didn't have as much white as the others.

Yeah, my free loaders are laying now, mostly. ;-)
DH was waiting until spring to see if she'll hatch us some hens that will actually lay....or cockerels we can have for dinner.
droolin.gif
lol The funny thing about Snoodle is that he went into the feed store for a dozen RIR pullets and came out with five red chicks and six white chicks; one of the white ones happened to turn into my Snoodle, which he named for me and calls my pet. He still shakes his head about her and jokes about her not being able to fly. lol

Yeah, it seems like she must be laying then. So, I'll tell him she's no longer free loading and show him one of her eggs (well, one I suspect is hers). ;-)

Back
Top Bottom