TeaChick's Chicks

Nice! What type of incubator does she have?

Yeah, fair enough. =)

Ah yeah. I have all Large Fowl right now and I am happy with them. Personally I like LF better. Don't really have a good reason, I just do.
Yeah and it is quite a big deal for me, haha. Your welcome!

Okay. Were you going to sell chicks or just breed for your own flock and have some fun? :) I bet you could sell Cochin Bantams pretty well.

Yes you do. But I will soon catch up to your half Wyandotte rooster. :p

Hi - I am an interested follower of your "diary" and was wondering why you would prefer not to feed corn? And what you want to use for protein, if not soybean meal? Most chickens are seasonal layers if not given supplemental lighting but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Do your hens have access to oyster shell? I was sorry about Beauty, it probably wasn't failure to thrive, that's a problem with chicks and they usually don't survive to be adults. It sounds like she had parasites. Were both of the "sick" hens from the same place? I think bantam cochins are my favorite, all your chickens look good but the cochin is special. Anyway good luck with your venture and keep up the good work with the diary.

Nice! What type of incubator does she have?

Yeah, fair enough. =)

Ah yeah. I have all Large Fowl right now and I am happy with them. Personally I like LF better. Don't really have a good reason, I just do.
Yeah and it is quite a big deal for me, haha. Your welcome!

Okay. Were you going to sell chicks or just breed for your own flock and have some fun? :) I bet you could sell Cochin Bantams pretty well.

Yes you do. But I will soon catch up to your half Wyandotte rooster. :p

IDK what kind it is.

Yeah, we want mostly LF b/c we don't want to mess with eating mini eggs. lol We ended up with the Bantam quite by accident.

I didn't mean I'm working on getting my breeding flock established. I meant laying flock. (Guess I was more tired that I thought.) I meant that I'll work on my breeding flock later. I'll sell whatever I have that I don't need; eggs, chicks, laying hens, roosters, etc. Except for eating b-fast and dinner for the family.
Yeah, selling the Cochin Bantams is the plan.

Yeah, we'll see about that. Bwahahahaha

Beautiful chickens. Your leghorn is so nice and clean mine tend to get quite dirty (dust baths). Love your posts can't wait to read more.

Thank you!!! =)

I take pics with my phone. That may be why they look "so nice and clean"; they are actually quite gray. lol They dust bathe too. I'm glad I intend to show them. lol

Thanks! I talk a lot, so there will be a lot to read. lol

Quote: Okay That's fine. =)

Yeah same here. lol Oh okay. Are you ever going to show your frizzle cochin? I have LF because when I first got chickens I got LF and I have always had LF since.

Oh okay, that makes sense. Wow sounds like you have everything under control. How about coop upgrades or a whole new coop? With all the chickens you want that will soon become a priority (I have experienced this).
wink.png

Actually selling them or just breeding and stuff?

Hehe
tongue.png

Okay That's fine. =)

Yeah same here. lol Oh okay. Are you ever going to show your frizzle cochin? Nah, I'm not that kind of girl. lol I didn't get her on purpose. DH went into Tractor Supply and asked for 12 RIR pullets and they gave us the last 11 chicks they had left; thankfully, they were all pullets; 5 were gold Comets (they rang them up as RIR, but just as good a layers), 5 were white Leghorns (more good layers) and the last one was rung up "special breed". When "she" started growing feathers on her feet, I thought she was a rooster. lol I got on here and someone told me she was a Bantam Cochin Frizzle and asked what color her earlobes were. I asked, "Do chickens really have earlobes or are you just pulling my leg? I never heard from that person again. =( Anyway, when DH found out that she doesn't fit his definition of "a real chicken", he declared her my pet and when he found out she couldn't fly, he named her "Snoodle" and then my oldest started teasing me by calling her (affectionately) "handy cluck". I give her a dirty look, but she's just being silly and she doesn't mean anything by it, just trying to get my goat. lol I have LF because when I first got chickens I got LF and I have always had LF since.

Oh okay, that makes sense. Wow sounds like you have everything under control. IDK about under control, but I have an ever-changing plan. ;-) How about coop upgrades or a whole new coop? DS is starting a heritage flock soon, so we'll build for them. I have the old coop, which I'll use for broodies who need to be separated from the laying flock and I can use it as a preschool for new chickens, kind of. I'll start putting them in there when I'm outside, then all day, then let them sleep in there, then let them free range from there. I'll have to find more free building material before I can do much more than what I've got. lol
With all the chickens you want that will soon become a priority (I have experienced this).
wink.png
Yeah, me too. lol Well, it wasn't that I didn't have room, my laying flock didn't like my original "coop"; it's more of a pen and I couldn't get them off the ground to sleep, so I had to build a new hen house. They like that a lot better. =)

Actually selling them or just breeding and stuff? Yeah, sell them, and breed them to sell more. I'm not going for specific genetics. I want to keep only smooth roosters so that I don't have to worry about frazzling the babies. I need more hens too though. I was thinking about getting a smooth roo from Tractor Supply, but if I can find someone nearby who has a roo, then I'd just go from there. I'm still working on my laying flock though, so....

Hehe
tongue.png
Back at ya!!!
tongue2.gif

Quote: So now I get the whole story! Haha, that is awesome. lol

Well, that's what I meant. ;-)
Aye, gotchya. lol Did you need any building permits or anything or are you out in the country?

Wow you really have the best in mind for your flock. If I could be a chicken I would be in your flock.
wink.png
How big was the coop you built?

Oh okay. You should look into getting your own incubator, or making one. Hope you find the right roo for breeding. =)

I'm the rubber your the glue, whatever you do, bounces right back to you.
tongue2.gif
hehe Just teasing.

So now I get the whole story! Haha, that is awesome. lol

Well, that's what I meant. ;-)
Aye, gotchya. lol Did you need any building permits or anything or are you out in the country?

Wow you really have the best in mind for your flock. If I could be a chicken I would be in your flock.
wink.png
How big was the coop you built?

Oh okay. You should look into getting your own incubator, or making one. Hope you find the right roo for breeding. =)

I'm the rubber your the glue, whatever you do, bounces right back to you.
tongue2.gif
hehe Just teasing.

The whole story is in the original post. lol

I'm out in the country. You are right; I am going to have to build more hen houses, coops, pens, etc. Less of this:
caf.gif
and more hard work. lol

Thank you, that's a great compliment!!! IDK; I didn't measure it. I stood pallets long ways vertical and there are three across the back, one of the front three is the door, and one on each end. I have to hunch over to go in for eggs, but it's plenty large enough for my little flock. So, definitely more to be built.

Yeah, I'm working on the incubator situation. ;-) Thanks. =)

lol
old.gif
Watch your tongue!!! lol

Back
Top Bottom