Teaching a blind chicken to eat?

Erin80

Songster
Apr 16, 2017
Any ideas on how to do this?
Our chicken is recovering ok after the racoon attack that blinded her. We are syringe feeding her right now and it’s going well, she’s pooping totally normal and seems ok. Since she can’t see though, she won’t peck at anything to eat. Any ideas on how to teach/encourage her to eat?

fill a small container with food, hold it right in front of her, and keep tapping your finger in the food like a broody does with her beak to teach chicks what to eat, and keep doing it till she finds it. You can use the same method for water once she's cracked the food, perhaps tapping the outside of the bowl rather than the water in that case. I would do all this in a box big enough to contain the chicken and bowl, in order to make the clean up after easier :p

An old thread, any update? I have a one year old blind pet chicken. With a regular routine, they can live happily. He can eat corn and solid feed out of a deep dish and loves watermelon and eventually learned to eat grass again.

It's been a while since this was posted I know, but if you still need help I started my blind girl on yogurt and I also did the tapping thing.
How can I teach her to be independent. As in finding her food and water

Back
Top Bottom