Teaching chickens to use a nipple waterer?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Xtina, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Xtina

Xtina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    I got a fancy new nipple waterer last week, and I'm pretty sure my girls haven't touched it once. To them, it might as well be just another part of their coop that does nothing. How can I get them to figure out that there's water in there?

2. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    Sit next to the waterer and tap on the nipples with your finger until there are drops of water hanging o the tips. The birds will be curious and come to find out how to make it work.

3. Xtina

Xtina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    OK. I tried that when I first got it, but they seemed to have zero interest. I'll try it again and stick to it this time.

4. ajaldridge

ajaldridge Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2010
    FORSYTH, GA
    Please keep me updated on how this works! I am going down next week to get one when I get paid and I have no clue how my chickies will react to it. I am just hoping they catch on quick.

5. 1shelby1

1shelby1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2008
    whine cntry,ca.
    I put one in my coop,and some girls use it but some wait with their tongues hanging out for the outside waterer-so I think the smart ones get it.It stays clean and was so easy to put in!

6. ikatiemay

ikatiemay Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    Eden Utah
    I use a nipple bucket and they didnt have any problems figuring it out. I touched the nipples and showed them the drips. It might help to put something yummy to eat right by it so they will stay close while you make the drips come out. My chickies dont miss much!

7. matimeo

matimeo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Oregon
    Also helps to take away other sources of water, so they are forced to use it. Otherwise, being they are creatures of habit, they'll probably stick with what they know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by