Teaching Puppy not to bite?? What do YOU do?

Quote:
The only problem with that is that you can seriously injure a dog by squeezing the muzzle.
smile.png

I say "ow" loud and sharp enough to startle the pup (no scare it, just surprise them), and then get up and walk away. They figure it out, that if they are too rough you leave. The key is to NEVER allow them to put their teeth on you. Puppies get really confused when they are sometimes allowed to mouth and sometimes reprimanded for it. I have pit bulls and so I've taught them that they are NOT allowed to put teeth on people, whether that is when taking a treat or playing a rowdy game. Any time I feel teeth on me, the drama queen comes out, I yelp and dramatically, as if I've been severely offended, walk away.

I try to keep it simple.Most of the time I say "Quit" in a firm loud tone when a pup gets too excited and bites hard.I do play with my pups with my hands and do let them "gnaw" alittle on my hand or finger.I start to handle my pups very young all over.That includes feet,ears,tail and mouth.All pups are different,some will cower at being yelled at,some bark back.Always being firm works.Claim your space and invite your pup into it.Pups are like kids,they look to their elders to teach them.It is a comfort for them to know what is expected of them.I've always beleive it was natural for a dog to kill a rat when it caught one.One is prey the other predator.But my house dog,Red,doesn't seem to get that.Shes a pit mix and farmed raised.She will catch a rat but will not bite and kill it.She will grab it up and run because she knows I'll kill it.Afterward she acts like I did something to her.Like I hurt her feelings.Doesn't make a bit of sense to me.I've learned to just have her "bring it" and trade a toy and just move on with a "good dog".

Teaching the puppy not to bite is easy. Do what the other dogs do ... make a quick, sharp yelp and stop all movement/play to the point of ignoring the dog. If you do it every time and are consistent, they quickly learn what is acceptable biting and what isn't. And, yes some biting is OK during play, if you are OK with it. We play fight with the dogs all the time and let them know if they came too close to the line. Then again, you might not find a more responsive pack of dogs than ours. YMMV.

Jim

lil'turkeymama :

I try to keep it simple.Most of the time I say "Quit" in a firm loud tone when a pup gets too excited and bites hard.I do play with my pups with my hands and do let them "gnaw" alittle on my hand or finger.I start to handle my pups very young all over.That includes feet,ears,tail and mouth.All pups are different,some will cower at being yelled at,some bark back.Always being firm works.Claim your space and invite your pup into it.Pups are like kids,they look to their elders to teach them.It is a comfort for them to know what is expected of them.I've always beleive it was natural for a dog to kill a rat when it caught one.One is prey the other predator.But my house dog,Red,doesn't seem to get that.Shes a pit mix and farmed raised.She will catch a rat but will not bite and kill it.She will grab it up and run because she knows I'll kill it.Afterward she acts like I did something to her.Like I hurt her feelings.Doesn't make a bit of sense to me.I've learned to just have her "bring it" and trade a toy and just move on with a "good dog".

It's so cute when they bark at you, mouthy little boogers
lol.png

When the pup bites, I press his lips against his teeth and say 'OW'. The pup associates discomfort with biting, and later, I can say 'ow' as a caution and he will go back to using a soft mouth.

well, my border collie thinks I'm 'playing' with her

when I scream in a high-pitched tone...So I don't do that.

She responds well to growls.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom