Teak oil or polyurethane?

Farmer413

Songster
6 Years
Dec 19, 2016
Massachusetts
I have some rough cut wood in my coop and I do not want to paint it. I'd like to preserve the natural wood look. What is the best thing to use to protect the wood but also not harm the birds.

Thanks

Do you mean for the exterior of the coop?
Either would be fine, once fully soaked in or cured respectively.
No reason to finish the interior IMO.

Poly does not get real hard. At least that is my experience with poly. We used oil based paints in our, it has held up, so far, really good. I build log beds and I use to use poly but it scratched easily. I know use lacquer. It cures to a clear hard coat. Of course exposer to light can wear the coating. But it is still used a lot on furniture, cabinets,and interior wood walls.

ScottS

Go with the oil; it is easier to maintain and recoat.

Polyurethane is a hard coating that forms a protective barrier on the outside of the wood. Initially it looks great but wherever there is a scratch or defect in the coating water can penetrate the wood and this will start to lift the coating then you have to sand it back and start again. It also requires more prep to begin with (cleaning and sanding).

With oil, overtime the oil is absorbed into the wood or wears off; when this happens just rub on a new coat of oil. If it looks dirty or is going black just scrub or pressure wash, let dry and recoat. Way less sanding.

JL

Quote: @farmer413... it wasn't clear who your question was directed at, thus no clear answer from SnS was possible.

......and you never bothered to answer my question below.
Do you mean for the exterior of the coop?
Either would be fine, once fully soaked in or cured respectively.
No reason to finish the interior IMO.

Go with the oil; it is easier to maintain and recoat.

Polyurethane is a hard coating that forms a protective barrier on the outside of the wood. Initially it looks great but wherever there is a scratch or defect in the coating water can penetrate the wood and this will start to lift the coating then you have to sand it back and start again. It also requires more prep to begin with (cleaning and sanding).

With oil, overtime the oil is absorbed into the wood or wears off; when this happens just rub on a new coat of oil. If it looks dirty or is going black just scrub or pressure wash, let dry and recoat. Way less sanding.

JL
Makes sense to me....tho I am not a 'finisher'.

I never saw your question, therefore I couldn't answer it. Part of the interior. It needs something on it or its going to get dirty and hard to clean since it is rough cut lumber.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom