Team BYC is awesome! MHP fail is now a success!?

Robblob

In the Brooder
Apr 6, 2016
Oklahoma
I followed the directions like others told me in a previous post. Warmed the cave up and placed all the chicks inside and covered the entrance for probably 30-40 seconds. Now they all seem to have accepted the cave and are happy! I have one question though. Should I start with the setting on high or start low and watch them to find their comfort level? Most of the chicks are just 4 days old, but one of them is almost two weeks old.

Welcome to the Broody Brigade! I see a couple of little feets under there! Don't be surprised if the 2 weeker starts spending most of his/her time on top....that one won't need as much heat as the younger ones do. Now, that's not to say that the little ones won't get up there too, but they'll use the inside a little more. If the brooder is indoors, you won't need the heating pad on "high" - or 6. It looks like your control has High, Medium, or Low. The one I use has numbered settings so on those rare occasions when I have them indoors I usually start at 4 or 5. Then, as you said, just watch them. If they don't want to go under at all, or hang around at the opening, it's probably too warm in there and you can adjust accordingly. If they're chilly, they'll huddle tightly and won't be running all over their brooder exploring. They'll outgrow the brooder fast, and I don't know how many chicks you have but you might start making plans for that!
lau.gif

I usually brood my chicks outdoors, so my ambient temps fluctuate more than they do inside, hence the reason I start MHP out higher then adjust downward as needed.

Good luck! If you have any more questions come on over the Mama Heating Pad thread....great people, friendly and eager to help! And again, welcome - not only to the Broody Brigade but to BYC as well. Glad to have you, and very glad you found out about raising chicks this way!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/956958/mama-heating-pad-in-the-brooder-picture-heavy-update

And here's a link to an article about raising chicks outdoors.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/yes-you-certainly-can-brood-chicks-outdoors

Thanks Blooie. I started with 8 chicks but had a heat lamp mishap (my fault) that I think roasted one of them that ended up passing earlier today. I most certainly have a plan already in the works as you can see below. A nice big coop that will have a 12' x 24' covered run attached. Just gotta put the finishing touches on it. This picture is a bit old as I've already moved it outside and added a few more items. Can't wait to transition them to the coop.

Back
Top Bottom