Ok to move outside?

Christie311

In the Brooder
Feb 27, 2023
I have 8 chicks and this week they are 9 weeks old. They have all their feathers and have been spending their days outside and nights inside the house. The lows have still been getting into the 30's but the 10 day looks like low 40's for the lows. Some of the highs have been low 40's and they seemed to do just fine. One day was more windy and a bit rainy they spent most of their time in the actual coop rather than the run. Is it safe to move them to the coop for the night if we are low 40's overnight? What if I do move them out and we get another low 30's night? What would I do? The coop was made locally and is designed for more than 8, I got it for room to grow. I have hemp straw bedding (pretty thick layer).

I'd say go ahead and put them out. And if you get worried about it being too cold, you can always put a heat lamp in with them. Otherwise, they have each other, and as long as they're out of the wind, they'll be fine!

At 9 weeks they should've been out of the house weeks ago. I assume you've have them off heat? If the temperature inside and out are vastly different, I'd put them out in the day only for a few days to help them acclimate, then permanently move them out.

I'd say go ahead and put them out. And if you get worried about it being too cold, you can always put a heat lamp in with them. Otherwise, they have each other, and as long as they're out of the wind, they'll be fine!
Ok that helps me, thank you so much!

At 9 weeks they should've been out of the house weeks ago. I assume you've have them off heat? If the temperature inside and out are vastly different, I'd put them out in the day only for a few days to help them acclimate, then permanently move them out.
They have been off the heat for a while and outside during the day time, I have only been brining them in overnight after the sun goes down. So they do really well during the day, it's the night time lows that had me wondering what would be ok. I'm ready for these nights to warm up!

They have been off the heat for a while and outside during the day time, I have only been brining them in overnight after the sun goes down. So they do really well during the day, it's the night time lows that had me wondering what would be ok. I'm ready for these nights to warm up!
I put my 2 week old chicks outside last night with no heat lamp and it was down in thr 40's. They snuggled together and did fine. I did end up putting a heat lamp out with them though. I'm sure your 9 week olds will do fine!

I put my 2 week old chicks outside last night with no heat lamp and it was down in thr 40's. They snuggled together and did fine. I did end up putting a heat lamp out with them though. I'm sure your 9 week olds will do fine!
They have been out in the low 40's overnight and doing fine, thanks for the help with that!!

Back
Top Bottom