Technical coop building question.

Pics

Merrymouse

Crowing
6 Years
Jan 8, 2017
Massachusetts
Moderator I tried posting a similar post before and it didn't work so if for some reason fhjs is duplicate feel free to delete please.
So I'm drawing up plans to build my first coop. I'm doing a modified Wichita so you have an idea what I'm going for. 4x8 coop with 12x8 run. 1. Length is 192". I have 4x4 (C) in corners and framing door with 2x4 (D) for remaining studs. I have them approximately 34" apart but the hardware cloth is 36" should I just add another stud and make them all closer together to accommodate? I know they sell wider pieces but that would be over kill and fhat stuff is very pricey.

2. This is diificult to explain. I'm making a frame on top of a concrete block foundation. So fist is have PT 2x4 (A) for a sill then I have a 1x6 (B) PT for a frame. The studs (C) and (D) go inside this frame. So how do I get the hardware cloth below the level of the frame if I'm putting it on after the studs go in. Here is two pictures of my draft for reference.
[/IMG]

Attach the latches from the sides, like this:

But you may need to fix that right side so it lines up evenly.

I also put some weatherstripping around mine, so when it closes, it seals it tight like a gasket. I'll get some pictures to show you when I get a chance.

IMG_5267.PNG IMG_5323.JPG IMG_5325.JPG IMG_5328.PNG IMG_5361.JPG IMG_5379.PNG IMG_5380.JPG IMG_5386.PNG IMG_5267.PNG I finally got around to making a sign for my coop. Also my chicks are growing up and all doing well. My little sick Cochin is really thriving and she's a pushy little thing and I love to watch her boss the bigger girls. I found a wonderful chicken loving family to take Mr Magoo my Swedish flower cockerel. He was crowing a lot. I still have George my barred rock cockerel but he will most likely go too. I'm having a difficult time using the new forum and just wanted to check back in to all my friends here. I've followed some of you in an effort to reconnect. Here are some pictures. Hope all is well

I think I understand your question but let me know if I don't. I have build two huge coops and many breeding pens and have made them better each time. When I run my wire across studs I don't run it vertically in between each stud. I run in horizontally the length of the coop/run and if it is say 6 ft tall I would 3 ft wire and run a 1x4 ,"horizontally in the middle of the top and bottom where the wire overlaps to staple the wire too. I find it makes the coop much stronger and more secure from the outside from predators. If you don't understand or I answered the wrong question let me know and I'll draw something or try again

You don't want to lay a 2x6 flat like that. It will flex and not offer any support.

A simple fix is to get a couple pressure treated 4x6 or 6x6 landscape timbers and create another frame just like you did with the 2x6s. Set it on your blocks and put what you've already built right on top.

Well it was so much warmer today high 30's. DH and I worked for about 5 1/2 hours. My son gave us about 1 1/2 hours. I feel like we should have gotten so much more done. We didn't get the roof done. But I'm ok with it. I was just wanting it done because we are suppposed to have storms this week and next weekend I'm gone Thurs through Sunday for a dog show. So it will be a while before I can get back at it. I kind of want to skip my dog show but it's this huge important show right before Westminster next tues. So we finished the soffit and the ???fascia?? Which gave us a few headaches because all the wood is warped and twisted. I put some corner braces on because it seemed like there was too much movement. Anyone have any additional ideas for stabilizing the structure front to back? Side to side it doesn't move. We also got a couple sheets of plywood onto the roof over the coop. We covered the plywood with a huge tarp to hopefully protect it some from the weather. Oh and we also put up the studs on the run end and I framed out where the nesting boxes go on the coop end. Here are some pica

Not a pretty image but it shows the corner braces that worked for us. Our coop stiffened up considerably once we added these- walls on the coop and the roof should make it nice and rigid too. BTW what kind of dogs do you show?
Love those little feeders...if I wasn't so cheap I'd buy some for my holding cages.
Dog answer below.

Quote:

Not a pretty image but it shows the corner braces that worked for us. Our coop stiffened up considerably once we added these- walls on the coop and the roof should make it nice and rigid too. BTW what kind of dogs do you show?
Yes! See post above. I did the corner bracing and it did the trick!!! And yes English Setters. Big show in NY this weekend before Westminster on Tues! Unfortunately I am not showing my Setter but I am going to help my friends and my club, plus Setter people are fun. I was supposed to leave today but big storm has delayed me one day. Maybe it wont be as bad for you near the water. Thanks for your help.
p.s. did you get my PM yesterday?

I personally don’t see a problem with an 11” x 13”. As I said, I’ve had a Midget Turkey use a 12” x 12” with no problems. That turkey was bigger than any of your chickens will be.

I’m usually an advocate for making things bigger than the absolute minimum. I do not consider 11x13 minimum, by the way. But one reason you use a pop door instead of a human sized door is to help keep rain and snow out. The bigger you make it the more weather you might let in.

Back
Top Bottom