Technique for dusting chickens

Sussex19

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Jul 3, 2022
NSW Australia
I'm in the process of treating for lice, using a pyrethrum and sulphur dust.
How do you go about dusting them?
It seems very hard getting it under the the feathers, in the moment I'm resting them on their sides, and parting a patch of feathers.
This means that it goes on in patches, so I'm not sure its getting on all the lice.

I'm in the process of treating for lice, using a pyrethrum and sulphur dust.
How do you go about dusting them?
It seems very hard getting it under the the feathers, in the moment I'm resting them on their sides, and parting a patch of feathers.
This means that it goes on in patches, so I'm not sure its getting on all the lice.
I use Diatomaceous Earth for dusting my chickens. I just put a pile of it in the area I see them taking a dirt bath. It's also what I use on red ants, roaches and for fleas and ticks on puppies and kittens under 8 weeks old. It's one of the best things I've for getting rid of the pest.

I use Diatomaceous Earth for dusting my chickens. I just put a pile of it in the area I see them taking a dirt bath. It's also what I use on red ants, roaches and for fleas and ticks on puppies and kittens under 8 weeks old. It's one of the best things I've for getting rid of the pest.
This is interesting, I've heard a lot of different opinions on DE.
But I'm not sure if one can buy it here, so I'll probably stick with what I've got.

What I did when I dusted for mites was I used a cat litter box with a lid, and dusted the birds generously inside the litter box, working it into the feathers best I could. So when I released them they'd shake right after, and the dust cloud of pesticide would redistribute itself on each bird inside the box.
For some reason it reminded me of the old shake and bake commercial. Put them in and give em a shake :lau

What I did when I dusted for mites was I used a cat litter box with a lid, and dusted the birds generously inside the litter box, working it into the feathers best I could. So when I released them they'd shake right after, and the dust cloud of pesticide would redistribute itself on each bird inside the box.
This sounds good, except that I don't have an enclosed litter box.
Could one use a cardboard box or something in stead?

Back
Top Bottom