Teen chicks

Madvalleychick

Songster
Apr 14, 2020
I brought home six 10 week olds yesterday. I have them in my boiler room in a large dog crate with pine bedding a low roost etc.
Could you all give me tips on keeping them clean and happy in my set up. It’s cold outside here in Eastern Ontario is they’re not going outside anytime soon....
First question? Do I spot clean or refresh all the bedding at once?

If they’re fully feathered they can usually go outside.
They’ll do most of their pooping at night, so clean up bedding in the morning. I spot clean until it gets bad. At that age, they’ll likely be needing new bedding more often.

How cold is it? At 10 weeks old they should be more than feathered enough to deal with most temperatures.

WIth your set up you may have to clean fairly often. They're not little anymore and even in a very large dog crate that's not a lot of floor space so they're going to accumulate poop pretty fast in there.

Yes I’m now spot cleaning often, luckily I am home with them to make this an easy chore.
As for outdoor time... our day high is below 10 degrees Celsius- today was a high of 5 and it snowed.... I though that cold for a 10 week old. The forecast for. Ext week shows double digits, so I’m hopeful!

Back
Top Bottom