Sponsored Post Teenage Chickens: 3 Frequently Asked Questions

I've always given the layers calcium separately, as oyster shell. I hope it's just one of those things that a chick knows not to help themselves to too much oyster shell, since it isn't hidden in their feed :p I also wonder, in case of fully free ranged or "wild," don't chicks eat the same things the layers do? Maybe a bit more protein since Mama gives them more choice bits, but otherwise just whatever they can find? So how different should their feed really be, aside from being textured fine enough to fit into their tiny beaks and the nutrition to support their massive growth? :hmm

When is it ok to offer insects? My girls are almost four weeks old and I find them catching fruit flies and stray mosquitoes that fly into the house. We'd like them to practice with crickets for catching the big guys. Would it be okay to offer those as early as this week?

Make sure they have grit if they are eating anything besides commercial chicken food. If they get to range they'll likely pick it up themselves. I've never bought grit because my chickens get outside all day if they like.

Re the whole chick starter/grower/layer feed thing:
  • 2 years ago my broody raised pullets stopped eating the starter feed in the brooder area when they were 2 weeks old and started eating the layer feed from the hanging feeder in the coop. I ended up dumping half the bag of starter in the bin with the layer. I did not notice any health issues.
  • I have the entire flock on low calcium grower at the moment.
  • I've never seen a pullet hit the oyster shell until they were close to laying.
  • My hens ate oyster shell even when their feeder was full of layer feed.
  • My 11 week old cockerel was eating oyster shell a few days ago. One of his sisters looked in the bin while he was eating it but walked off.
Seems to me that means there isn't enough calcium in the grower for the cockerel's needs and keeping them on starter/grower for 18 weeks may not be all that advisable.

Back
Top Bottom