Teenager asked for chickens

MelissaY33

In the Brooder
Mar 4, 2021
Hi Everyone,

My 16-year old daughter asked if we could get some chickens because she wants to raise them and be responsible for their care. I have wanted chickens for a while so I was more than happy to oblige. We are getting our babies tomorrow and will work on getting the coop set up over the next month in our backyard.

I have NEVER owned chickens and will be picking up 5 chicks tomorrow (March 5). I am hoping to get a Silver Laced Wyandotte Pullet, a Light Brahma Pullet, a Rhode Island Red Pullet, a White Silkie Bantam and a Black Australarp. We also have 2 dogs, a cat and a Russian Tortoise. I am 53 and have 2 kids, a son who is 19 and is in welding school in Gillette, Wyoming and a 16 yeard old daughter who is a sophomore in high school. I do bookkeeping for small companies and my husband is in commercial real estate. I found BYC from my good friend who is an experienced chicken owner and takes wonderful care of her flock.

I am sure I will have lots of questions as we get started. I am glad to be here and have this resource available.

Melissa Young

Hi and welcome. For 5 chickens you need an enclosed coop that is a minimum of 20 square feet, as each chicken needs 4 sq ft in area at night or you can have behavioral problems like pecking. You'll also need a daytime enclosure, or "run" of about 50 sq ft, as each bird needs about 10 sq ft each. The coop needs good ventilation but should be secure from pedators. Good luck and have fun!

Back
Top Bottom