Teenager refuses to kill her chicken for a class project

Status
Not open for further replies.
clip-from-newspaper1_LEMS.jpg

An that's why we need those classes.....
roll.png

yuckyuck.gif
Hopefully there are very few people that are REALLY that stupid. But, there is obviously a right to be stupid in this country. This sort of education, if chosen, belongs at home.

Quote:
I became a pretty good woodworker learning a lot of what I know from high school shop classes. You couldn't learn how to raise and butcher a chicken in that time?

I also feel that taxpayers money toward education should teach our children reading, writing, math, basic science, budgeting, music, art, etc., not how to be an animal farmer.

Many of our area high schools have voc-ed courses. Everything from agricultural courses, drafting, automotive repair courses, wood and metal working shop courses, general maintenance and repair to home-ec. Not everybody is on the college track. Hands-on trade courses teach skills, build confidence, and guide students towards possible vocational careers.​

I get where She is coming From... to be given a little chick to look after care and love ( and name if u wanted to) then expected to kill it after putting all that effort into it... would just kill me
sad.png
there is a reason that my family says never kill something you've named. Because then it becomes a pet. not something you have raised for food. like i get if you name it after a piece of food.. like drumstick... but a pet name yea wouldn't be able to eat a pet.

Quote:
Oh please...

This was an ag course. When I was in high school 25 years ago the ag classes at the local high school involved sitting behind a desk and listening to the teacher lecture about the topic of the day with an occasional field trip to a farm thrown in. The school's ag courses have come a long way since then. They do beekeeping on site and learn to harvest honey. They have their own nursery and grow flowers and plants for sale. They have hands on food processing courses, including actually butchering animals. They even take in the occasional deer during deer season and process them.

OK maybe a bit harsh.. I am about the same age as you. I went to a rural farm community high school..(50 kids in my graduating class and that was the better part of the county..
wink.png
Yep rural ). Of course I butchered many many animals before high school, I took much wild game too prior to going to high school. Ag classes were animal husbandry... not processing.......However me being one that fully supports that all omnivores should kill and process their own meat at least once... I still find something disturbing with the story. Learning to slaughter seems to be more of a personal thing to me...
(Yes My 5 and 7 year old boys have done autopsy on pet chickens and helped process roosters and watched me gut deer under headlights on a cold night when you open up the animal and steam and blood pour out, nothing more vivid than that about the reality of eating meat in my opinion.)

The taking of a animals life is a deep Spiritual experience for me each and every time. (Yes I am quite positive I have "processed" more animals than the majority of you.) ... Not cold blooded killing, not something in school. It is something I do in "church". (I am a Pagan, My church is a state of mind.) Not something I want my kids doing in school...

The primary point I was making in my original post was her action was wrong, she should have taken other routes to save the chickens life that was important to her.

ON

they do the animal husbandry thing in middle school in high school they do the optional processing most of it got banned at my high school we do help out at a farm though and help process this guys turkeys
Quote:
Oh please...

This was an ag course. When I was in high school 25 years ago the ag classes at the local high school involved sitting behind a desk and listening to the teacher lecture about the topic of the day with an occasional field trip to a farm thrown in. The school's ag courses have come a long way since then. They do beekeeping on site and learn to harvest honey. They have their own nursery and grow flowers and plants for sale. They have hands on food processing courses, including actually butchering animals. They even take in the occasional deer during deer season and process them.

OK maybe a bit harsh.. I am about the same age as you. I went to a rural farm community high school..(50 kids in my graduating class and that was the better part of the county..
wink.png
Yep rural ). Of course I butchered many many animals before high school, I took much wild game too prior to going to high school. Ag classes were animal husbandry... not processing.......However me being one that fully supports that all omnivores should kill and process their own meat at least once... I still find something disturbing with the story. Learning to slaughter seems to be more of a personal thing to me...
(Yes My 5 and 7 year old boys have done autopsy on pet chickens and helped process roosters and watched me gut deer under headlights on a cold night when you open up the animal and steam and blood pour out, nothing more vivid than that about the reality of eating meat in my opinion.)

The taking of a animals life is a deep Spiritual experience for me each and every time. (Yes I am quite positive I have "processed" more animals than the majority of you.) ... Not cold blooded killing, not something in school. It is something I do in "church". (I am a Pagan, My church is a state of mind.) Not something I want my kids doing in school...

The primary point I was making in my original post was her action was wrong, she should have taken other routes to save the chickens life that was important to her.

ON

Quote:
I became a pretty good woodworker learning a lot of what I know from high school shop classes. You couldn't learn how to raise and butcher a chicken in that time?

I also feel that taxpayers money toward education should teach our children reading, writing, math, basic science, budgeting, music, art, etc., not how to be an animal farmer.

Many of our area high schools have voc-ed courses. Everything from agricultural courses, drafting, automotive repair courses, wood and metal working shop courses, general maintenance and repair to home-ec. Not everybody is on the college track. Hands-on trade courses teach skills, build confidence, and guide students towards possible vocational careers.​

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. Just as I am mine.

Quote:

Aside from the valuation of my own woodworking skills, none of that was opinion, only facts that I stated.

Quote:
we had to do this in college. I couldn't do it but my lab partner seemed to really enjoy herself. I was very disturbed at how happy she was to do it and ours were chicks about 4 weeks old.

Quote:

Aside from the valuation of my own woodworking skills, none of that was opinion, only facts that I stated.

lau.gif

True...indeed... the only opinion you stated was the valuation of your wood working skills, the rest is fact indeed!

I agree vocational programs as are college bound programs are both very important in high school, everyone is not nor should be on a college track.. (We already have too many unemployed college folks with a degree in underwater basket weaving that can not find jobs or change a light bulb..)
wink.png

(Now that is 100% opinion....
lau.gif
)

ON

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom