Teenager refuses to kill her chicken for a class project

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is High School for gods sake. I think the kids know by now that their food doesn't mysteriously appear on a plate. As the teacher stated. I am so discusted with this whole situation. This project needs to be discontinued asap!!!

Quote:
From a few reports she had paid the school for the chicken, but she did get punished for leaving the property. The chicken is apparently living on an undisclosed farm, not with the girl. I would hope they taught to students something about raising and keeping chickens in the class so they wouldn't need to rely on a book.

As for fixing cars in school, my high school had a waiting list for small car fixes that would be covered during the year. The program may have been gotten rid of when the teacher retired. It is a shame to see classes that teach useful every day things, like Home Ec and Wood/auto shop, get cut but they do require a good chunk of funding. My high school had a habit of allocating more funds to the sports programs than anything else.
hmm.png

Anyhow, the girl has had her run in the news and hopefully the school has learned to notify students and parents of class activities involving live animals and their potential demise.

Thank you for welcoming me!
I don't care what punishment I get...I'm not sorry and I would do it again. I would actually take a bigger purse and get more of the chickens. You are welcome to your opinions, it doesn't bother me at all. But, you will never, ever convince me that killing an animal at school is a good idea. If it is traumatic to anyone or offensive to anyone it is wrong. It is ...very traumatic to the chickens. They went with no food for over three days. I just want to be clear ..because my goal is not to convince anyone that they are wrong or I am right....I know in my heart...I am right and i know that this should never happen again. I was alone when I stole my chicken and I didn't think anyone besides my parents would understand. So, I will continue speaking out alone or with others...but, I will continue. The majority of people discussing it find it offensive, so the handfull that choose to judge me and who were not there and were not in my shoes can hopefully at least understand ...I am not killing an animal for anyone. And, yet I know where food comes from...I have had gardens, watched Food Inc, visited farms...and watched videos and documentaries online....without ever cutting an animal's throat. It is possible...I never visited outer space, but I do understand what the moon is and that it doesn't just magically appear in the sky.

Thank you all again for caring about chickens enough to meet up and talk and for debating this issue.

~Whitney

Welcome!
frow.gif

My question to you is..
Did you know, when you signed up for the class, that one of the class requirements was killing a chicken?

"some peope dont even know where some steak comes from and they think cows magically just have milk"

I don't know anyone, not even small children that don't know that some meats and milk etc. comes from a cow. I have a 5-year-old brother that knows more than some of you are crediting to teens being able to comprehend in this project. Please dont forget what it is like to be a teenager. You may not have known everything, but you did know many things. I'm sure at 16, you knew where meat and milk came from. I'm sure, for most of you, you never had to raise and kill a chicken at your high school. It's easy to judge, harder to understand. I hope you will attempt the latter. But, I do also realize that a few people just like to argue or feel right. So, if you are in this just to be right...I'll let you have that. But, if you are in this to understand then know that...I have never skipped a day of school in my life, I have always cared about my grades, I am the one who is at school every day no matter what and I chose to run away from school grounds...and skip class...and steal a chicken...I hope that resonates with you enough to at least grasp that I felt desperate and that there was no other option at that time. At least understand that for me...this wasn't something I was able to bring myself to do.

I have answered that question a great deal of times, but again...no it just said animal science and was one of our required science credits, no warnings, no parental permission. He decided this last minute...it was a "pilot" project they hadn't done before. It was too late to transfer by the time it was confirmed and chickens arrived. I asked to be released, he said no. I asked for my chicken, he said no. He told me this project would be required to pass the class.

I found math pretty traumatic too ....I'd be okay if anyone wants to start an anti-math campaign. LOL
big_smile.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom