Teenager refuses to kill her chicken for a class project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
bow.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
But, Hamilton said he told students about the project at the beginning of the class, and everyone knew what it would entail.

"It wasn't sprung on anybody," he said. "All anyone had to do was say they didn't want to participate. I thought it'd be a neat project.

As is often the case a fuller reporting of the facts puts a different complexion on the matter.

Quote:
bow.gif

HAHAHAHA!

X2 HAHA...
gig.gif

SO
welsummerchicks wrote: I think what people are suggesting as the solution - eat 100% organic, eat all whole grains, eat only veg, go vegan, don't eat any fast food, don't eat any processed food, is totally unrealistic. For one thing it is expensive.

The poorest cultures on the planet eat whole grain vegetarian diets? Expensive No? The true cost of processed foods and industrial meat which is just industrial corn and soy in one shape, way or form. Take away the subsides, take away the oil subsidies, include the environmental impact, include the health costs of Diabetes, heart disease and so for forth. Now that is expensive!!!
big_smile.png

Sure maybe not 100% organic yet but, local and seasonal can cost less upfront. Canning, freezing and putting up the bounty of a season for off season use...

People lived on a lot less in times not so distant.. and they did not have processed foods and onions flown in from Peru....

How about classes on how to can and freeze and cook from scratch... Instead......

ON​

Last edited:
Quote:
Ain't that what Home Economics is?

Nah.. mine wasnt like that..
We cooked a few meals and sewed a pair of shorts...
hmm.png

Wish i would had learned how to can...

They also dont have that class here anymore... or wood shop either. Budget cuts..
roll.png

Quote:
But what good does knowing how to butcher it if you cant and dont know how to kill it?

I am a trained chef and worked in different kitchens over the years from school dinners to 5 star hotels i did not need to know how to kill an animal to be able to prepare it for a meal i was trained in a college to do this, we were given dead birds to prepare we had to both gut and pluck a chicken or duck then used it in a dish prepared for staff to grade. Most people learn to cook from books, school, the internet, watching tv programmes or in the home.

how an animal is raised prior to joining the food chain is important, a quick painless death is also important but do i really need to do it myself to appreciate this. i dont think so. If i had to i would probably wouldnt eat meat.

I have 3 chickens that i care for i eat the eggs when i have them, they have names they are pets and they will die at mother natures hand not mine. and yes i eat chicken i buy it prepacked and oven ready just like the pork i buy and occaisionally lamb. if that makes me a hypocrit so be it. If i had 200 chickens raised for meat and processed by someone else i could quite happily stick one in my oven and eat it.

In the world we live in there are bankers, there are teachers, shop keepers, doctors dentists and FARMERS and thousands of other trades. I do not need to know how to build a house to appreciate the skill needed so i have a roof over my head. Before money people used a barter system to gain goods/services they could not make/do for themselves. mend a wheel gets a chicken from the farmer, or a pair of shoes from the cobbler. i cant make shoes so i buy them, i cant kill a pig so i buy the meat. i dont need to kill a chicken to eat one when it can be done by someone far more experienced than me and more than likely far quicker too.

Last edited:
Quote:
Chicklett,

I'd like to respond again to this post
smile.png

You say that no one is exspected to be killing chickens in school in "todays world". It used to be that everyone knew where their food came from, how to kill it, etc. They were either homeschooled or went to a small schoolhouse. You're right. The world has changed, some say for the better, some say for the worse. But all in all I'm not thinking it was a terrible thing to ask of you. I'm not old and can see your concern about doing this. Now, if they had brought the chickens in the day of the slaughter. Would you have felt different? If I had raised it for a few weeks though, I would have done the same thing you did. I'm with you. Also, killing chickens with other students is my schoolwork sometimes since I'm homeschooled
smile.png

As many of the people on here said, we all have different views. The only things that binds us all together is a love of animals. We have different thoughts, religions, and views on everything under the sun.. and the universe. But I'm sure most of us would agree in the end that they wouldn't have killed the chicken if they were in your situation. Though I probably would have killed it, depending on personality, breed, other, having killed "pets" before. I feel that you wouldn't do it and I understand why. There have been pet chickens I've owned that I won't kill. They will be able to live out their lives on the farm happily and carefree. A joy that many chickens can never experience. I want to spread the word more about what they really do in the factories but the only luck I've had so far is telling people I know directly. You have a breakthrough where you could tell the world somewhat of what really happens. Don't waste it! You can tell the world why you did it, why it shouldn't happen again, or many other things. The only thing I can say is Go Go Go!

God Bless
hugs.gif

Matthew

Quote:
But what good does knowing how to butcher it if you cant and dont know how to kill it?

I am a trained chef and worked in different kitchens over the years from school dinners to 5 star hotels i did not need to know how to kill an animal to be able to prepare it for a meal i was trained in a college to do this, we were given dead birds to prepare we had to both gut and pluck a chicken or duck then used it in a dish prepared for staff to grade. Most people learn to cook from books, school, the internet, watching tv programmes or in the home.

how an animal is raised prior to joining the food chain is important, a quick painless death is also important but do i really need to do it myself to appreciate this. i dont think so. If i had to i would probably wouldnt eat meat.

I have 3 chickens that i care for i eat the eggs when i have them, they have names they are pets and they will die at mother natures hand not mine. and yes i eat chicken i buy it prepacked and oven ready just like the pork i buy and occaisionally lamb. if that makes me a hypocrit so be it. If i had 200 chickens raised for meat and processed by someone else i could quite happily stick one in my oven and eat it.

In the world we live in there are bankers, there are teachers, shop keepers, doctors dentists and FARMERS and thousands of other trades. I do not need to know how to build a house to appreciate the skill needed so i have a roof over my head. Before money people used a barter system to gain goods/services they could not make/do for themselves. mend a wheel gets a chicken from the farmer, or a pair of shoes from the cobbler. i cant make shoes so i buy them, i cant kill a pig so i buy the meat. i dont need to kill a chicken to eat one when it can be done by someone far more experienced than me and more than likely far quicker too.

thumbsup.gif

Well said. I don't need someone to explain to me every detail about how a computer is made and works for me to learn how to use it, albeit poorly!

Quote:
In which case you should not sign up for a class in computer design. If you don't want to know how your food is raised and processed DO NOT take classes on that subject.

Others who are interested in them should be able to do so if they want them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom