Teeny eggs

Flowerpott

Songster
Aug 12, 2019
Kerrville texas
My Leghorn started laying about a week ago. We've gotten about 6 eggs from her which is awesome. It such an amazing feeling to go get your fresh egg! Still waiting my other two hens to start laying. Soon I hope!
Anyways.. I know leghorns don't give GIANT eggs. But i was wondering if it's normal that her eggs are so tiny? I would say it's about half the size of a store bought large egg.
Will they get bigger in time? Does it have to do with her diet? Shes a pig lol or are we just getting wee eggs because she isnt very big herself?
She weighs maybe..3 pounds? Shes very light and much smaller then my Rhode island red and black australorp.

Thank you!!

20201021_121811.jpg
20201022_090425.jpg

The orange yolk is hers compared to store bought. I was showing my children the difference.

My Leghorn started laying about a week ago. We've gotten about 6 eggs from her which is awesome. It such an amazing feeling to go get your fresh egg! Still waiting my other two hens to start laying. Soon I hope!
Anyways.. I know leghorns don't give GIANT eggs. But i was wondering if it's normal that her eggs are so tiny? I would say it's about half the size of a store bought large egg.
Will they get bigger in time? Does it have to do with her diet? Shes a pig lol or are we just getting wee eggs because she isnt very big herself?
She weighs maybe..3 pounds? Shes very light and much smaller then my Rhode island red and black australorp.

Thank you!!
Congratulations
She's just starting out, give her time and she will surprise you. 🙈🙉🙊

Congratulations
She's just starting out, give her time and she will surprise you. 🙈🙉🙊

Shes already an amazing bird. She survived a pretty nasty dog attack the day after her first egg and is still laying like a champ!! I just adore my ladies. I can literally stare at then for hours watching them be chickens. My kids think I'm nuts!

That's amazing! Thank you!
It's so cool how many people are just as into chickens as I am. I'm the only person I know with chickens. Now my in laws call me country! Lolol
Yeah, I my best friends wife wanted chickens and he was adamant that they WOULD NOT have chickens. She kept at him, trying to goat him into why he didn't want them in front of me, all the while we all knew why. So I finally said it, "He's afraid of seeming too rural for a big city kinda guy." Nice way for me to say, "He thinks chickens are too redneck for him.", where me, I like rural and embrace being an overeducated redneck. :)

Back
Top Bottom