Teeny tiny chick. Is it a runt, a dwarf, or just adorable?

I wonder-wonder if the shrink-wrap stunted the baby's growth? Thanks so much for answering my question!!

I suppose it's possible, but this chick just looks different too. Its beak is really hawklike and he's not the same golden buff color the others are, he's just pale yellow.
To be honest though, my oldest son has a chromosomal deletion and so maybe I look a little too hard at what could just be normal variances. Anyway, his growth has been steady, he's smaller than the other chick who hatched the same day as him for sure but about the same size as those who hatched a week after him and keeping up just fine, and he doesn't seem to be any less with-it, any less 'chickeny' than the others so that's promising!

Alright, so I was looking Chicken Little over and I noticed his tail feathers are coming in with a significant portion of black in them! My hens all have tiny dots of black on their longest tail feathers, almost like over spray from spray paint, not large black areas by any means and they didn't start to show up until they were a few months old. I feel like this black spotting coupled with his lighter colored head, differently shaped beak, and smaller size is just too much to be a fluke. He also has a comb that's half as long (from beak to back of head) as all the others.

Does anyone know what breeds went into the creation of the buff Orpington? I also have one chick who appears to have feathered legs! Anyone know any BYCers who know a lot about chicken genetics who maybe can help me understand what's going on?

NOT chicken little, a chick with feathered legs.

I'm anxious to see how Chicken Little develops. I purchased four mixed breed chicks from our local feed store back in early February. One of the chicks, a barred rock, has not grown at all. She has feathered out and seems to eat and drink okay, but she just won't grow. Two weeks after we got the mixed four, we also brought home two Salmon Faverolles. The two day old SF's were the nearly the same size as the little BR. Now, over three weeks later, the SF's are larger than the BR that is two weeks older than them. I contacted the feed store to make sure that they didn't give me a bantam by accident, and they assured me that wasn't possible and that she was probably just a runt.

Back
Top Bottom