Tell me about Cochins and laying...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by JenniferC, May 6, 2008.

1. JenniferC

JenniferC Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    Are cochin eggs small or medium sized? I hear they lay about 2 per week- is that about right?

I've read that the eggs they lay are small, but I got 2 baby cochins and they were ENORMOUS compared to the BR's. So how could they have come out of a much smaller egg?

2. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    I was wondering the same thing a few days ago. Small egg, big chick?

3. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I have both standard and bantam cochins, and the standard girl lays a decent sized egg about five times a week. The bantam doesn't lay as much, that I can tell anyway. I also have a d'uccle and some silkies, and sometimes I have a hard time figuring out what egg belongs to who.

4. Ellie

Ellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    I have a standard cochin. She lays medium two toned eggs. She is young, then went broody and hatched some eggs so I don't know if her 3 to 4 times a week is normal.

She may lay more now.

Ellie

5. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    I have Bantams and Standards.

Out of the 10 bantam ladies that are laying I am getting 7-9 eggs every day. I also have 2 that are broody on empty nests and 2 that have chicks. I am not including them in the count. Small-Medium eggs.

Out the 6 Standard ladies I get 2-4 eggs per day. Again there is another hen that has 8 babies. Medium - XLarge eggs. My Noel lays Large eggs till she hits egg number 6-7 and then the rest of that laying cycle will be huge double yolkers.

My Standards are from Show lines and my bantams are a mixture of Show lines and Pets.

Matt

6. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    My Bantams hens 5 aweek/tiny egg

Large Fowl 4 a week/large egg

Great personalities also really good foregers!

7. Yotta Yotta

Yotta Yotta Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2008
    Madison AL
    Wow I'm surprised they lay so well! Mypetchicken.com said they only lay about 2 egg per week. Do you think it's their broodiness than makes mypetchicken.com give them such a low rate?

8. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    I have 1 bantam cochin that is broody all the time in over a year!

((I have an EE that goes broody when ever she sees her sitting on the nest: I think they are in competition))

Some strains are better layers than others

http://www.sandhillpreservation.com/pages/poultry_catalog.html ((gives egg size))

Myers poultry their catalog also gives egg size their birds lay

Most of mine were hatched eggs from sandspoultry on ebay (I also had the best hatch rate with her eggs!

9. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

I hae standard cochins and out of 13 layers I get at least 12 a day, everyday. They are THE sweetest birds too. Mine lay almost completely round eggs that are pretty good sized. I have a blue hen that lays a massive double yolker about 2-3 times a week, I guess she saves hers up for all at once and gets it over with!!

10. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Last edited: May 8, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by