Tell me about my mixes!

4 Georgia Hens

Crowing
Jan 3, 2017
Northern Georgia
Howdy yal! We recently hatched some chicks for the first time! Their mother is a pure black silkie and their father is a cuckoo silkie. I found this calculator and I am VERY confused! I literally have zero idea what the results mean (circled in red). Can someone help??!!?
C465BE2F-8ED7-42E0-95A3-CAF24FF076B8.jpeg
Thank y’all in advance!

Sneebsey

Songster
Apr 7, 2017
Shropshire, UK
All offspring from this pairing will be single factor barred/cuckoo. Hens, unlike cockerels can only ever be single factor barred, so all the hens will be cuckoo silkies like the father. The cockerels will be hen-barred/dark barred; they will be darker than your current Cockerel due to their impurity for barring.

4 Georgia Hens

Crowing
Jan 3, 2017
Northern Georgia
All offspring from this pairing will be single factor barred/cuckoo. Hens, unlike cockerels can only ever be single factor barred, so all the hens will be cuckoo silkies like the father. The cockerels will be hen-barred/dark barred; they will be darker than your current Cockerel due to their impurity for barring.
Ok. Does that mean that I will be able to determine their gender based purely off of feather pattern?

4 Georgia Hens

Crowing
Jan 3, 2017
Northern Georgia
Also, one of the chicks has a white belly and white tipped wings. How will that baby look once it’s older??

4 Georgia Hens

Crowing
Jan 3, 2017
Northern Georgia
No unfortunately. They will all be barred. The sexlinks only work if it is barred hen x solid rooster, that is because of the way the gene works.
Ok! Thank you. I think that barred silkies are truly unique and we love em over here! Can’t wait!
Oh, I also have a chick with a white belly and white tipped wings. Will her pattern be any different?

Sneebsey

Songster
Apr 7, 2017
Shropshire, UK
Ok. Does that mean that I will be able to determine their gender based purely off of feather pattern?

No, both sexes will be the same colour.

Also, one of the chicks has a white belly and white tipped wings. How will that baby look once it’s older??

That sounds like extended black chick down, which would be correct; does it still have the head spot indicating barring?

Sneebsey

Songster
Apr 7, 2017
Shropshire, UK
Could you post pictures of the parents? If the father is single-barred he could produce solid offspring (1/2); if so he would be darker than a standard cuckoo.

MANNA-PRO

Top Bottom