tell me about pheasants

chkinut

Songster
9 Years
Feb 25, 2010
Leesburg, Ohio
hi guys! i have friend that wants me to hatch out some pheasants for him. and it really made me start to think about them......i don't even know where to begin, except that i know absolutely nothing about them! why do people keep them? do people eat them and/or their eggs? do they make good pets? are they loud? do they fly? forgive my ignorance about them...but i've only spent years on chickens and pretty much nothing else. but i am curious.....ok, i just noticed the sticky and i'm going to read over it....but i still welcome anyone's experiences with these guys!
smile.png

Last edited:
thanks! i just read the whole thing! and i also read the sticky. i always like to educate myself about birds, so that was interesting.

Welcome to the club! I have just started raising pheasants too.Its whole lots of fun watching them.I have raise quail for two years and still doing the quail. But i wanted see how pheasants would. So maybe we can help each other on are new hobby;)

Hi Kirsti,
So, your thinking about pheasants? I think they are one of the best kinds of birds to raise. I started in 1967 raising common pheasants (chinese ringnecks) Now I breed 9 species and I love keeping them all. Pheasants have a number of advantages over chickens. They are beautiful and eat much less than most types of chickens. For the most part they make much less noise than chickens and are much cleaner and easier to care for. Most species are very hardy and can be raised in almost any type of climate. If you spend a lot of time with your birds they can become very tame. I just love the different colors and differences in the way each species acts. I want to warn you their is one problem with raising pheasants, they get addictive! There sort of like potato chips you can't stop with just one kind!

Last edited:
I also have a question about pheasant. We have a 50x50 flight pen for the pheasant and we have 19 hens and 7 roosters in it. I was hoping to also put my India Blue peafowl pair in with them since they are in the pheasant family anyway. Any input on this would be grateful. My main concern is when breeding season rolls around I don't want to stress either species of pheasant.
celebrate.gif

Hello Patti,
Even though pea fowl are a member of the pheasant family, they are very different. Also they are more prone to certain diseases than most pheasants, especially the common pheasant. I have to admit when pen space has been short a couple of times I have put a few pheasants in with my White pea fowl breeders, but often as naught aggression reared it's ugly head. If at all possible I would keep them in separate enclosures. If you really want to try, make sure you have lots of cover in flight pen so there are places for your pheasants to keep away from the larger pea fowl.

Patti your also going to want to do some pheasant number decreasing...well at least some cockbird culling. 1 ringneck male can cover about 6-7 hens. So if I was you I would keep the hens you have but break down to about 3 roosters.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom