tell me about polish roosters

werecatrising

Songster
10 Years
Jul 4, 2009
California
I bought 10 chciks straight run. Four barred rocks, 2 buff orpingtons, 2 brahmas, and 2 jersey giants. I ended up with all hens. Everybody at work knows I spoil all of my critters. One day I was mentioning to a non chicken co worker that I needed a roo. I intended to ask on of the doctors who raised about 70 chicks this year, but somebody else overheard me. She wants me to take her polish rooster. I admit, I don't know much about them, but they aren't a breed I am really interested in.

Can anybody tell me more about them? What is their personality like? How do they do in the cold? will they be way smaller than my hens?

I have had a Polish hen, and now 3 pullets, and the girls are wonderful, friendly, personable, and lots of fun to watch. I've never had a rooster, though, but I've heard bad things about them. Many say that Polish roos are agressive, they attack people, and they're just plain mean. Others say their roos are skittish and subbordinate.

Polish don't tend to do so hot in the cold, although we've gone through 2 winters with my hen when she was still with us. When they peck the ground, they collect snow, ice, and dirt in their crests and will stick together like icicles. Freezing crests are said to cause pain to the hens though my girl just had trouble seeing with them in the way. She never seemed to be in any pain. After a night of sleep, though, I'd find that the ice would melt off in the coop and she would be ice-less in the morning again. The breed isn't hardy but they're strong enough for NY winters.

I don't think the Polish is small, just more slender than most other breeds. If you're worried about mating, he'll get the job done eventually, too small or not. However, if you do get him, you'd have to make sure he holds his own because he may become henpecked and bullied by the girls in mass. Also, he could lose a bunch of crest feathers to them if they start pecking at his funniness.

I would find out what kind of Polish roo he is. I have noticed a big difference in size in my different colors of Polish.
I also agree with the above post. I imagine your girls would pick at his crest.

The Polish hens are a bit fragile.

The roos however, grow to be rather large and aggressive.

They are REALLY COOL looking when they fully mature.

The roos will fight to the death to protecet their hens and
often do fight with other roos.

They are rather stand offs and want little to do with you.

It's not that different colors are different sizes, it's that polish come in bantam and large fowl. I've bred bantam polish for several years. I've yet to have an agressive male. They can be a bit jumpy since they can't see you with their crests. The crests can either be tied back or cut off to help them see. They do fine in our winters here in MA. Temps can get below -10. In general, they're great birds. I would suggest you go to the person's house and observe the bird interact with the other birds and people before making your decision one way or the other.

Quote:
Well, my standard buff laced are quite a bit smaller than my splash Polish but definitely not as small as my bantam buff laced Polish so that is why I say there is a difference in size. My standard Blue Polish roo is kind of in-between the size of the splash and buff.
I have not had any roos that were real aggressive. Now with my splash roos the dominant one will chase the other roos but they definitely do not really fight. My buff laced and blue are very non-aggressive.

Quote:
Well, my standard buff laced are quite a bit smaller than my splash Polish but definitely not as small as my bantam buff laced Polish so that is why I say there is a difference in size. My standard Blue Polish roo is kind of in-between the size of the splash and buff.
I have not had any roos that were real aggressive. Now with my splash roos the dominant one will chase the other roos but they definitely do not really fight. My buff laced and blue are very non-aggressive.

If they're hatchery birds, this would account for the differences in size. They only breed for quantity, without regard for any specific traits including uniformity in size.

I keep hearing this about hatchery birds. I have only bought from a hatchery once and got great birds. These are all from breeders and I find there is a vast difference from one breeder to the next so I am not sure I am better of with the breeders since a lot of them don't breed towards the standard, they just breed what they have.

I have a polish roo, and he's great. He's not the dominant rooster, and our bantam cochin cockerel chases him away from the girls every chance he gets. He's never tried to attack the people, when the bantam cochin attacks occasionally (which seems funny to me, as bantam cochin boys are supposed to be calm, overall). Overall, he's shy and standoffish, but that's the way I want my roosters to be. Much better than thinking he runs the place...

I have hatched out a few babies of his from wyandotte, australorp, other polish, easter eggers... and he seems to be fine with the big girls. He makes great-looking crossbred babies! One hen recently hatched out 10 eggs, and even though he's not the dominant roo, 5 of the babies are his.

Back
Top Bottom