Tell me about this horse...A Paint?

Yep, seems very paint-ish to me! Without papers, its difficult to tell, but he has the build for it. He may have some quarter horse in his past (Some registered paints do), but I don't see very much in him from those pictures.

He looks like he'll clean up nice with some good grooming and will probably do well for your daughter at local shows. I started in 4-H with a fairly green paint horse at the age of 10 and we learned together. She was the best horse I've ever had the pleasure to work with!

Paints are by far my favorite of all horses. They are flashy, well tempered, and can do a lot! They are very versatile! My riding style of choice is western, so I tend to picture paints in western tack, but depending on what his background is, you could probably do english as well!

Heres a butt shot....
4785_duffy_april_2009_097.jpg

taken Saturday when we picked him up
4785_duff_day_2_april_19_2009_007.jpg

Quote:
Josh Lyons came the barn were my daughter and I take lessons and put on a weekend clinic...and it was really interesting.....I took a rider's clinic with the barn owner/coach who was taught by his dad John and I used my daughters horse ....wow ! .....The horse and I learned so much....
thats why I would like to do it again with this horse...

Not to be negative, but I've seen several people who have had a bad experience with a *Josh* Lyons clinic. There was one at my barn many years ago, and there was a woman riding a Fjord who had to be hospitalized because .... well... to say it nicely, his suggestions were making her problems worse. She came off of her horse several times before she went to the hospital, and all could have been easily avoided with a little common sense on his part.

I do know many people idolize both John and Josh Lyons, and I do think that there are many good things to be learned from them. As with any trainer, take what works with you, leave the rest.

I hope your clinic works out well, I'm sure you'll learn a lot.

Regardless of the status of a piece of paper, he looks like he'll be a good horse for you. The most important part of a horse is what's between his ears
big_smile.png
I've known as many wonderful grade horses as poor registered ones.

Paints are Quarter horses with more than 1 inch of pink skin (resulting in a white area of hair) if he is not Quarter horse bloodlines than he is a Pinto. If your horse is 7/8 Paint - it is a Pinto. A Pinto is any horse with over 1 inch of pink skin resulting in a white spot that is not of Quarter horse bloodlines. In othewords if he has some Arabian in him he is a Pinto, If he has any other sort of bloodline in him he is a Pinto. Paint and Pinto is a color breed like Buckskin, Appaloosa, Dun etc... What is important is if you like him and he is safe to be around keep him.

I was raised around horses, showed Quarter horses on the QH circuit and had an indoor riding arena in my backyard growing up. Having a safe horse is the most important thing. Have fun.
big_smile.png

Quote:
I think she said it is 7/8 years old, not 7/8ths paint
wink.png
. At any rate, many very fine registered paints came from a registered quarter horse parent. The same is true with appaloosas.
This gelding looks to be a nice little horse and if he is of good temperment, I would not care if he was pinto or paint either one. And just so you know, if you wanted him registered just to have a piece of paper on him, you can do so through the American Indian Horse registry.

Thanks Mary Ann ! After looking at many horses and having another horse on a trial period that had ligament problems in his back leg .....I think I finally found my guy....he is such a good boy....and gets along fine with the two girls....our Belgian X is Queen "B' .....but he puts up with her....knows all his ground manners.....His name is McDuff.....Duff for short....thats the name he came with....good night girl ! talk soon !

Quote:
I think she said it is 7/8 years old, not 7/8ths paint
wink.png
. At any rate, many very fine registered paints came from a registered quarter horse parent. The same is true with appaloosas.
This gelding looks to be a nice little horse and if he is of good temperment, I would not care if he was pinto or paint either one. And just so you know, if you wanted him registered just to have a piece of paper on him, you can do so through the American Indian Horse registry.

oh sorry, long day. Your right all that matters is that he has a good temperment and is safe. Papers are just that - paper. Enjoy your new addition. Rebecca

Back
Top Bottom